It's probably ancient in Technology terms now .... but was state of the art when I bought it. Its a Muddy Fox ... 21 speed Mountain Bike.

Shimano ST index shift Front and rear derailleur are Shimano 500LX Chain Rings are Shimano 400LX (states narrow chain only on them)

2 Questions ....

#1 What is the best procedure/ sequence for setting up the adjustment on Front & rear sets

#2 To remove the chain for full clean, I assume I have to use a link extractor, which I have obtained.. can I use this on any link, does it weaken the link doing this ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

news:uk.rec.cycling is that way ------>

or this way

Reply to
Mike

uk.rec.cycling would be better, but as were here:

#2 To remove the chain for full clean, I assume I have to use a link

Check it doesn't already have a powerlink on it before splitting it, officially splitting a shimano chain needs a oversized fixing pin to join it again. Might be easier to clean it on the bike, or get hold of a powerlink to re-join it afterwards.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

For all things related to cycle maintenance, you cannot go wrong by reading Sheldon Browns pages:

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Ex ... Thnx

Reply to
Rick Hughes

If it's been lying around a while (which as it's a 21 speed it sounds like it has been) then it's unlikley to have a powerlink unless a chain with one was put on later. The Shimano chain with the silly special pin is more of a possibility though

Reply to
chris French

Another good site for bike repairs is this :-

're absolutely rigth in coming to UK DIY for anything requiring repair as the knowledge base here is enormous, but the advice to go to dedicated sites is the right one as the real 'geeks' are there who will know everything!

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

they are worn they'll need replacing.

You could use one of these instead:

or a cheaper alternative.

Reply to
Mark

I thought I was the only one with a Muddy Fox these days ;-). Mine is white, quite old but perfectly fine.

Galet

You're absolutely rigth in coming to UK DIY for anything requiring repair as the knowledge base here is enormous, but the advice to go to dedicated sites is the right one as the real 'geeks' are there who will know everything!

I won't mention geeks to them though :-)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Mine is Lime Green, and at least 21 years old .... and to be honest still going fine, just realise I need to put some service work on it to keep it that way.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Update .....I did use Sheldon's guides .... front shift was causing me all sorts of problems.

It would shift up 1- 2 - 3 ok but would not shift to centre cog on way down. Upper & lower limits were correct, height & parallel cage were set.

Eventually found the barrel adjuster was the problem ... where this screws into the STI shift mechanism on handlebars ... the 6mm male thread has stripped .. and threaded hole damaged. Causing erratic cable tension.

Managed to re-thread both ... reassembled ... then all was useless, up shifting not working at all.

Stripped again and found one of the helical springs in the shift mechanism had become unhooked .... fully cleaned, lubed and reassembled ... now everything is shifting as sweet as a nut.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Mine is a Lime Green Courier Comp ..... and looking as good as new.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rick Hughes" saying something like:

Phear the mighty Claude Butler.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon