I want to add a utility tub next to the washer in the laundry room.
The room is on the first floor with basement access. The washer is
connected to a utility box that supplies hot/cold water and drain. The
utility tub will use a regular kitchen faucet and will be mounted in
an enclosed cabinet. Of the options available, what is code required
and the easiest to install.
For the new water connections, these are my options:
1. Use Y connectors in the existing utility box and run stainless
hoses to the faucet.
2. Tap into the copper pipes in the stud cavity (2x4 studs) of the
utility box and solder new pipes to the adjoining stud cavity. This
may present problems since the there may not be enough room to allow
the one of the new pipes to get around the PVC drain pipe.
3. Tap into the existing copper pipes in the stud cavity and run it
outside the drywall.
4. Tap into the existing copper pipes in the basement. This is doable
but there are things in the way that makes this choice a lot harder.
For the PVC drain pipe there are similar options:
1. In the stud cavity add a T fitting either above or below the J
trap to the adjoining stud cavity. Again I am not sure there will be
enough room to get around the copper pipe that is in the way. Will
there also be a problem with drain water from the washer being pushed
into the utility tub?
2. Add T fitting and extend it outside of drywall.
3. From the basement add a T fitting that will come underneath to the
adjoining stud cavity.