Flymo Leaf blower slider stuck/stickly

My elderly (well older than me anyway) neighbour has a Flymo Scirocco Leaf Blower (2500w) which probably never has had a clean despite regular autumn use.

He said it wasn't working and he was going to check the fuse (his standard repair to all electrical items) but I offered to look at it first as I suspected that it had probably just cut out.

It fires up fine but the slider for suck/blow is a bit of a sod to move. I've opened up the motor housing and there is general lots of crud inside and I thought if I could separate the barrel I could give the slider a good clean and maybe a light smoothing over with emery cloth but I can't get to it.

I've got a jar of screws I've manage to remove but I think the motor housing hinge is the one that is stopping me.

Any tips as to how to free the slider up?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Well I failed to get the nozzle apart so copious water, manual sliding and then silicone spray seems to have helped in the absence of any advice from here.

An easier question, there is a rubber bung on the nozzle. What's that for?

Reply to
AnthonyL

I was going to suggest silicone spray. (Only just got back from holiday).

Reply to
newshound