flush fitting 13A sockets onto bare brickwork.

Hi, I am having a conservatory dwarf wall put up my a builder mate of mine. I am having bare brickwork on the inside (i.e. no plastering), But I want to also have flush fitting mains sockets.

Can this be done? if so, how? The wall is current at DPC level,I am asking now, as I figure I have the additional option of precutting the bricks before they are laid.

Cheers.

Reply to
Mark Gillespie

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:31:31 +0100, "Mark Gillespie" mused:

Same way as you would flush mount any socket, cut the box flush into the surrounding material.

Reply to
Lurch

Is there a way of doing this without damaging the bricks? Most of my previous attempts on plastered walls have been pretty poor!!!

Shame nobody has come up with a special tool to do this.. (or perhaps they have.)

Reply to
Mark Gillespie

And then have a good think as to how you will "invisibly" wire them!

Reply to
Buckgnat

It can be done in the same way as for an already erected wall (e.g. plastered, plasterboard etc.); but you can get a neater job by cutting the bricks during construction.

You can put the metal boxes in during construction as well or afterwards.

It's also a helpful idea to run cables in before insulating materials and if you have doors and want to run cables underneath the openings, that can be done in large diameter flexible conduit before the floor is finished.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Then figure out how you're going to get the cables from any socket into and out of the box cut 'flush into the surrounding material; !

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Very simple. The cable goes into the cavity before the conservatory superstructure is built onto the dwarf wall.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Simple. Use the cavity. Run the cables before completing construction.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Subsequent replacement of such cables might be a bit of a challenge... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Drill lots of holes in the area you wish to mount your pattress box. Remove what is left by carefully chiselling out with a chisel/bolster.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Piece of cake - attach new to old and pull!

Reply to
Bob Martin

It is as easy as that. I once did somthing similar on a sandstone wall. Cutting out the backbox holes was done with a angle grinder, a hammer and chisel and patience.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:46:58 +0100, Frank Erskine mused:

And, who gives a frig?

Note that I have observed the smiley. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

So don't use rubber and include some lengths of polypropylene cord.

Alternatively, run in lengths of 20 or 25mm flexible conduit and do the wiring in singles.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Or surface wire in MICC.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Andy wrote

As I understand it the wall isn't built yet so just use a back-box instead of a brick and/or cut the adjacent brick to obtain the correct spacing of the mortar joints in the exposed brickwork.

Reply to
Alan

It most certainly can be done, yes.

The key is to get the cables in as you build..if its a cavity wall, no problem.

If it isn't, try embedding them in the mortar lines. This is probably against some regulation.

The backing box can be built in as it it was an odd shaped 'brick'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why would one ever want to? "subsequent replacement" of ANY wire is a bit of a problem in most houses..requiring floor lifting and the like.

"Subsequent replacement" of main drains requires trenching and digging.

"Subsequent replacement" of foundations requires the same, when underpinning.

Let me let you into a secret: Houses are designed to last,and cables are no exception.

They didn't build the great churches if the mediaeval period saying 'Gee, I wonder how we will replace the gargoyles'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mmmm... but makes it look a bit industrial..... Better than PVC, I agree.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes they have :

Mike Harrison