Flooring/Insulation advice

I'm removing the floor in the kitchen prior to a refit and, possibly, underfloor heating, depending on the quote/timescales that come back.
The floor at the moment is concrete with about 3/4" screed, then ceramic tiles/adhesive (about 3/8"), then a couple of layers of polystyrene sheet, the about another 3/4" for the old oak floor.
In addition, the level could go up by about another 1" giving a total level of around 3" / 7.5cm
If we don't go down the underfloor heating route, what would be the best option in terms of insulation under the final surface?
I was thinking in terms of battens on the concrete, followed by sheets of something strong and dimensionally stable, followed by either an engineered wooden floor, or possibly stone/ceramic tiles.
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:00:23 -0500, Sean Inglis wrote:

Apologies to "The Natural Philosopher" who gave me a steer towards celotex/kingspan - trouble with my ubuntu install / newsreader. I'll investigate these two unless there's any change if underfloor heating isn't used?