Flooring

Is there an alternative to "standard" floorboarding ? - by that i mean cheaper

TIA

Reply to
Part P

The 19mm 8'x2' sheets of green floor grade chipboard is about as cheap as you will find.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thought they were 4x2.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Those are more likely to be the loft flooring boards - easier to handle in a small space etc. The "ordinary" green flooring chipboard sheets are 8'

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

I'm surprised. I would have thought ordinary floor grade chipboard would have been cheaper.

Reply to
Roger

That *is* ordinary floor grade chipboard AFAIUI...

Reply to
John Rumm

If you're talking about "Caberfloor" or equivalent, it's "moisture resistant" (and 22mm). I've a piece outside, that's been used as a cover for something since before last winter. It's still good.

"Ordinary" is not moisture resistant, isn't coloured, is cheaper, and is carp (possibly miss-splet).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

Bit late with my follow-up. I overlooked the response. :-(

I thought the normal flooring grade chipboard was the imitation Wheatabix. (Colour, texture, behaviour when wet and, for all I know, taste). The green stuff is water resistant.

Reply to
Roger

Yes. Fish all that half inch chip out of skips, theres loads of it, trim and fit it, and put 2 layers down. Not worth bothering for most of us, but for anyone in financial hardship it might be worth the saving. All can be used, melamine coated, half inch ply, anything the right size. Even half inch would survive if youre careful not to jump about :)

I've seen 1/4" ply used for flooring before... not recommended

NT

Reply to
meow2222

OK, fairy snuff, looks like the local suppliers sell the green water resistant stuff as "ordinary", and gloss over the existance of an even naffer option!

Reply to
John Rumm