Part P questions

I've spent several days reading web sites and posts on Part P but it's all too conflicting. Can anyone tell me whether the following are legal to do DIY:

In an airing cupboard in a bathroom. Insert a (battery powered) timer between the (MCD protected) live wire and the wall mounted, 13A fused switch connected to a 3KW immersion heater. No wires to be added. [Irony: if I can't do it, I won't; consuming more electricity. So much for the ecological goals of the regulations].

Replace the flex for the above with an identical one. [Irony: if I can't do it, I won't; leaving in place a flex with the insulation getting very brittle. So much for the safety goals of the regulations. More irony: according to the regs I can't upgrade this wire. Is a flex to a 20-year old specification as good as a recent one?]

Replace the three way valve in my CH with an identical one. Valve is Honeywell Y Plan V4073A1039 with it's own flex, so the wiring to the connection blocks, as such, doesn't change.

Replace the timer in my CH with a system compatible but better one, without wiring change. E.G. Honeywell Y Plan ST6400C1003. [Irony: if I can't do it, I won't; consuming more power, the current timer doesn't support independant Heat and Water. So much for the ecological goals of the regulations].

If legal, any tips/gotchas on doing the the above two tasks would be appreciated.

In the kitchen: Replace the hot water inlet solenoid on my Washing machine.

In case it's relevant: CH Boiler, CH Pump and Mains Distribution Unit were upgraded (and the house was Building Control inspected ) two years ago.

Reply to
SteveBurr

Replacing any fixed electrical equipment ok (so that's your immersion timer, 3 way valve and central heating control) .

Replacing the cable for a single circuit ok (so that's your immersion flex).

Washing machine internals are not a fixed appliance so not covered by PartP.

Other work isn't DIY forbidden, but requires you to send a building notice to your local BCO.

IANAL and all the usual caveats.

Reply to
dom

The message from "SteveBurr" contains these words:

Personally, I'd do any of them and sod the rules.

Reply to
Guy King

Isn't this the complete issue with respect to the current debate on law and order in the uk. (I have added OT to the start of the subject line so that those who don't want to see this can opt out easily)

You are quite correct: a silly law is one which people ignore. (Wait for the outrage that this is really a sensible law - but really, is it 'enforceable'?)

Take 'mobile phone use while driving'. Huge numbers of people ignore this law because nobody has the resources to enforce it.

We would be a lot better off with fewer laws which were rigorously enforced.

Sorry for taking up everyone's time/bandwidth, but I do it BECAUSE I CAN!!!!!

:-)

John.

Reply to
Bioboffin

The message from "Bioboffin" contains these words:

Quite so. I need to fit some sockets in my conservatory - so I shall. I'm debating whether to run a new ring back to a spare way on the fuseboard or whether to just extend the existing ring through the wall, but whichever I do I shall be doing it myself.

Reply to
Guy King

So would I and I totally agree with the OP that these regs will result in more danger because there will be necessary work not done, more extension leads, more adapters, more multi-wired plugs etc.

ISTR 5 deaths / annum were the excuse. I wonder if we'll ever be told how many there are in the future ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

The message from "SteveBurr" contains these words:

This time use the proper heat resistant flex. :-)

Reply to
Roger

Not Guilty, installed "professionally" twenty years ago. I suspect the term "heat resistant" is only relative. After the first, very helpful, post I went out, got the right cable and fitted it. It's identical to the original - except the Blue core hasn't turned black at the end :). Actually the Neutral connection was loose, so that probably caused the heat.

Reply to
SteveBurr

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:28:52 GMT someone who may be "Bioboffin" wrote this:-

Indeed. I gather the Labour Party scumbags have introduced 60 Laura 'n Order laws in 9 years as they try and respond to the red top newspapers. Quite ridiculous.

An excellent suggestion is that for every new law introduced at least one old one should be discontinued.

Reply to
David Hansen