floorboards to replace - chipboard or real wood

Obviously min width depends on thickness & grade of chip, and support arrangements, and what resulting strength you're willing to accept.

Ah, the usual bull

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, I asked you about 18mm flooring grade. Is that not detailed enough?

Indeed

Reply to
stuart noble

Unless you've got some computer designed house it's going to be impossible to use full sheets of chipboard everywhere. But I'm not sure why you'd cut it down to use in floorboard widths anyway. Sort of defeats the whole purpose.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its stupid argument anyway. Imagine walking on an unsupported 5ft plank of T & G flooring.

worse than chipboard

NT is talking from ignorance again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks - I like your suggestion to use 3x2 either side - that will be a neat fix.

Reply to
dave

Just went and measured the chip I got from B&Q - 18.5 mm and the T&G is bang on 20mm. At least the chip isn't 22 mm :-)

Reply to
dave

I have used bathroom lino in the past to make up the difference.

Reply to
ARW

An unsupported 5ft plank of T & G flooring worse than an unsupported 5ft plank of chipboard? You must be using a very unusual grade of chip.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Its the unsupported span that is the governing factor, not the width of the piece of chipboard. Only problem with using chipboard to repair a floor is the inability to use t&g flooring grade chip if the repair is a small one. The t&g gives it a lot of strength.

Reply to
fred