floorboards to replace 22mm chipboard

Hello,

The previous owner of my house had a loft conversion done and they used 22mm chipboard for flooring.

There are two places where the chipboard has cracked so I need to replace the broken chipboard. I was hoping to use floorboards. They are less bulky to carry and if I rewire or replumb in the future, they will be easier to lift too.

The problem is that most floorboards seems to be 18mm and I think the

4mm difference would be too much and be a trip hazard. The two damaged pieces are (1) at the top of the stairs and (2) the entrance to the en suite, so high traffic areas.

I se Wickes sells 21mm boards but only as a pack of 5 and I think they have to be ordered specially. I'm not sure if the 21mm is a nominal measurement and they might be less than this in real life.

I asked a timber merchant but the thickest the did was about 20mm, so I'm wondering what should I do. Should I buy 20mm boards; will the 2mm difference be noticeable or will the underlay take care of that?

Or am I restricting myself because I'm looking at T&G boards. Would I be better to get 1" timber and have it run through a thicknesser to make 22mm?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Why can't you use 18mm boards and put 4mm shims on the joists underneath them?

Reply to
Pancho

I've not found it hard to find suitable thickness timber for sale. You could even look at some pallets if you cba to sand, thickness* or carpet.

  • with sanding belt not blades T&G:
  1. blocks gaps / draughts
  2. reduces differential warping
  3. makes later access a pita
  4. is not necessary

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Go to a timber merchant you are more likely to get decent dimensioned timber, Wickes, B&A et al have all really skimped on their sizes eg 2x1 PAR comes in at 44 X 18 whereas my local timber merchant can supply 46 X 21. Last lot of T&G I bought came at 18mm thickness so 4mm ply cut into 2" strips attached to the top of your joists should pack out the T&G up to your present floor level.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You need to find a better timber merchant. Such thicknesses and nominal

1" floorboards are available for repairing older properties.
2mm level shift is within woodworking tolerances and unlikely to be a trip hazard - nothing that a rasp won't sort out anyway.

You have no chance of finding anything useful for this in sheds.

Reply to
Martin Brown

+1 - eg strips cut from 4mm ply
Reply to
Robin

I've been back to the timber merchant and he suggested packing between the joists and the boards. I must admit, I had not thought of this!

Reply to
Stephen

I was wondering why you suggest thickness with a sander rather than a thicknesser?

Points 1 and 2 seem to be a good thing, and I use a multi tool to cut the t&g when removing for access, but I do wonder whether you are right with point 4 that just straight edged timber might be more useful!

Reply to
Stephen

I've gone back to the timber merchant and whereas the whitewood floorboards are too thin, they have some redwood boards about 21mm, so I think I'll use those.

I had a good timber merchant where I used to live. That house had the opposite problem that the boards were thinner than average. I think they were 16mm, which I assume was some imperial thickness (5/8?). Several times I wanted to use this as an excuse to buy a thicknesser but as they would do it for free, I new got to treat myself!

Now I've moved, I'm having to find timber merchants where I live now.

You're right that it's disappointing that Wickes don't have more of a selection but I phoned Travis Perkins and they were just as bad; I thought their "commercial" parent might have been better.

Reply to
Stephen

I meant use a sanding thicknesser rather than bladed type. You can hack one up using a frame & belt sander. Reused wood can contain broken nail/screw pieces etc that'll wreck your blades. Sanding belts are cheap.

It's certainly easier :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Because the joists are probably spaced 600 mm apart, so 22 mm chipboard is *necessary*. Using 18 mm chipboard is a dodgy builders bodge.

Quite how they got cracked is more curious. Maybe they didn't glue the tongues and grooves which they should have.

You can get 22mm 8*2 t&g caberfloor which I believe is plywood.

Reply to
Andrew

He ought to know better. Didn't he ask what the joist spacing is ?.

18 mm chipboard is only strong enough when the joists are no more than 18 inches apart.
Reply to
Andrew

And even if you did, it would lose moisture and end up thinner than

22mm anyway, unless you gave it time to dry out fully before using a planer/thicknesser
Reply to
Andrew

I thought the OP was wanting to use timber* instead of chipboard, and the guidance for timber used to be 16mm centres up to 500mm and 19mm up to 600mm.

  • from " I was hoping to use floorboards...The problem is that most floorboards seems to be 18mm...21mm boards but only as a pack of 5...I asked a timber merchant but the thickest the did was about 20mm"
Reply to
Robin

I think it is chipboard.

Your point about why they failed is a good one.

My solution was to put strips of supporting Wickes studwork timber 38mm

  • 63mm under all the joins (I used this size because it was the cheapest).

This protected me from a couple of chipboard laying beginner errors. 1) I didn't use enough PVA glue in the joins and 2) I didn't realize how hard you had to hammer the sheets together if you laid them on top of gap filling glue, so I didn't get them particularly tight at first.

Reply to
Pancho

Yep. I meant exactly that. It would have been clearer if I had said it.

Reply to
Pancho

I saw quarter inch ply used as a floor once. Like a bouncy castle!

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, I am hoping to use floorboards not chipboard.

Reply to
Stephen

I'm not sure. It is in the entrance to the en suite and at the top of the stairs, so high traffic areas. It was like that when I moved in. The areas damaged are small. I think they have been cut and lifted to access plumbing and I wonder if it is because these small sections have not been adequately supported? These areas are not tongue and groove or glued.

Reply to
Stephen

I did wonder about doing something like this but then I thought since I would have to lift the carpet and the chipboard to get to the joists to attach these, I may as well replace the section once I have lifted it.

Reply to
Stephen