Floorboards/Sound Insulation

Anyone know of a modern alternative to tongue and groove floorboarding ? I am replacing the current flat-edged boards in an attempt to improve sound insulation - the old ones have shrunk so much there is a

1cm gap in places.

Thanks.

Reply to
SW

It is mostly done with T&G flooring grade chipboard nowadays. However, they are prone to serious squeaking if not done properly.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Don't scare me. My mother's house is atrocious. Heavier joists the answer? Or will they even help? Is it all level rather construction?

TIA Suzanne

Reply to
Suz

What I done, wos glued chip over insulation board. No skweeks. still drums tho. No way to avoid that outside of concrete floors IMHO.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You mean the stuff they sell in B&Q for boarding out lofts ?

SW.

Reply to
SW

No. This stuff is thicker and comes in larger sheets. It is specifically intended to floor the main areas of the house.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

What kind of insulation board do you mean ?

Reply to
SW

12mm fiber board. it helps a little..
Reply to