Floor tiles and stained grout

About 2 years ago I laid ceramic floor tiles in the kitchen and hallway. SWMBO, of course, chose the colour (beige) and against my advice, chose a light beige grout.
As I expected, some of the grout in the kitchen has become quite stained due to spillages etc. and now looks quite dirty.
Is there any way I can clean or treat the grout to get rid of the staining and return it to its original colour?
--
Phil

On 05/07/2012 07:46, Phil wrote:

In Turkey (yes In know this isnt Turkey but nobody else has answered) they use an acid product to clean the tiles and grout, you wipe it on neat and you can see the vapour rising you only leave about 5 minutes and rinse it off as it will quickly destroy the grout, but hey it certainly cleans it. Its readily available over there but I suspect health & safety wouldnt let it get anywhere near the shops here. Apart from that the only thing I can think of is using a grout scraping tool and scrape the surface, but this is labour intensive. You could try bleach painted on with a narrow paintbrush.
On 05/07/2012 23:42, ss wrote:

I can't see the point of using acid. The discolouration isn't due to hard water salts, so a detergent would seem to be sufficient. If dirt has penetrated the grout, a mild alkali such as washing soda might be more appropriate