ceramic tiles and grout

laid them in my bathroom and didnt wipe enough grout out while it was still wet, so i'm left with quite big grout lines. I made the same mistake on the wall tiles but managed to 'sand' them down with a decent sponge scourer. However on the floor tiles the grout is more of a cement and tears the scourer apart, does anyone have any ideas how i could 'sand' it down like i did with the wall tiles? Its not a major problem and doesnt look too bad but would be nice to get the even and thinner grout lines.

Reply to
benpost

soak the sponge in descaler. Or brick acid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

hi NP thanks for reply.. .where can i get that? i've got some de limescale spray would that do it? i guess i should wear gloves with this sort of thing!

Reply to
benpost

Try that first.

Builders merchant for patio or brick aid.

Even vinegar works on grout..its only a superior form of limescale.

Wear gloves if you like, but I let my hands tell me when they are being damaged...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

but make sure neither the descaler/acid nor the sponge contain any colour die which will show in the grout.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

can you please send a link to a screwfix product or b & q i could use for rubbing down the floor grout as well as removing set grout from tile surfaces. like you say i must need something chemical as hard rubbing alone just ruins the sponge with no effect. the limescale spray i have is coloured (supermarket product) so would probably not be a good idea. thanks guys

Reply to
benpost

You could try a window scraper for the face of the tiles, and some coarse, fabric backed abrasive for the grout lines. Something for a belt sander would be ok. Just tear it into a useable size and fold it to get into the gaps. Hard work though...

Reply to
Stuart Noble

jim

thanks for that link but i dont think that would help as i dont want to dig up the grout, just smooth it off a bit.

any one got a link to this de scaling solution so i can try scrubbing with that, to try and smooth down some of the grout?

Reply to
benpost

fwiw i used this exact thing to remove old excess grout from "overfull" grout lines and tile surfaces.

FFS try googling for it yourself !

NB how will you stop acids etc softening all of the grout depth ? you may end up redoing it all anyway?

Reply to
jim