Flooded Floor Void

During today's rain my garden flooded (which isn't rare as it's on clay) and so did the street outside for a while. When we lifted the hatch to look at the floor void under the ground floor it had a couple of cms of water in (now gone). This was 3 hours after the rain finished - so there was probably a fair bit more earlier.

The house is a 90 year old, brick built semi, in south London. The floor void is about 2 feet high & the bottom appears to be made of some kind of compacted surface (it's very dusty/sandy). There is cabling for a ring main in the void as well as CH pipework, but the electrics seem fine.

Is there anything I should do to help everything dry properly or to check for damage? Anything that I should do in the longer run (apart from trying to raise the cabling).

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
michaeld121

Ventilation.

If you can lift boards in a couple of places and put a fan under there to get a through draught that will help dry the space out.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I expect it's often been like that over the 90 years. It's just that you lifted the hatch this time :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Air bricks and the wind outside are normally sufficient.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In one house we had, it used to happen every spring high tide. The house had been around for a century before we bought it and there were no detectable ill effects..

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

yes, as long as it drains away ok, and youve got airbricks that arent blocked, it should dry itself fine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222