Flat battery

When the battery before the battery before this current one failed, one of the terminals was very corroded then. This was about ten years ago, I think.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Don't buy an auto, then. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I take it you don't have a glance over such things when filling the windscreen washer?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't recall exactly when I opened the bonnet before the battery failed, but if the terminal was corroded on that occasion I certainly didn't notice it.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Bert Coules laid this down on his screen :

Yep, well spotted :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Saturday :

On a motorbike, yes.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

The Natural Philosopher brought next idea :

Then they fly - I have come across batteries which have been overcharged to the point of the electroylite being evaporated away.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Only girls drive autos.

Easy enough to tow start them at 30MPH

Reply to
ARW

A mates Dad started and drove his newish Jag (Mondeo based?) just a few feet and the next time he tried to start it it wouldn't. I can't remember what he had to do then, maybe just keep cranking it over?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sorry for my tone there. Too little attention to tone and too much to "is it time for pre-pre-dinner drinks?"

Reply to
Robin

Yes I have.

Reply to
Fredxx

It may be true that if you want to specity and sell cheap rubbish you get it made in China, but that's only because China is the cheapest place to make any electronics, from cheap and nasty to top quality.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Some versions of Bosch injection were notorious for that. Start the car cold in the garage, drive it outside, and stop the engine while you locked up the garage. Wouldn't restart. New plugs needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you driven a new car that turns the engine off automatically when you stop?

Although TBH my A reg Ford Sierra always cut out when I stopped and was obviously years ahead in design.

Reply to
ARW

If the car does start I believe it's good practice to rev it knackers off for 20 minutes at 6am:-)

Reply to
ARW

Is that a sort of antisocial isolation?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The engine is supposed to restart again instantly when needed ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

That is what happens when people exploit others, sending them out to work long hours while they take the money. Exploitation.

Not unlike racism, when those on selection boards apply special rules to prevent ethnic groups from getting jobs.

Then you get people who abuse people from one race/ culture, forcing them to work long hours in menial jobs, almost slave labour. Not uncommon in domestic situations.

Reply to
Brian Reay

the world is a very unfair place......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Break the -ve first on disconnection, make it first on reconnection.

For the avoidance of doubt :-)

Reply to
RJH