flame/fire retardent silicone

Hello,

I've got a few gaps in the ceiling between the airing cupboard and loft where the various wires and pipes enter. What's the best thing to fill these gaps with? Do I need to use a fire / flame retardant silicone or will any silicone or plaster do?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Why flame retardent - you're not lighting fires in the airing cupboard, are you?

I would have thought that suitably sized bits of foam jammed in the gaps would have been easier to apply than trying to get a sealant gun in the right place.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You probably don't need to fill the holes as such

All that I did was to cover the holes from above

I think that I just used a sheet of kitchen foil with slits to fit around pipes and cables

Then dump the loft insulation on top

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Thanks for the reassurance. I wasn't sure whether there was a requirement for fire retardency between floors. If not, when is it used?

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

Integral garages.

Reply to
Huge

On Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:26:31 GMT, a particular chimpanzee, Fred randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Well, there is, but within a storey dwelling it's usually satisfied by making sure that there are no gaps between floors. Unless there is a floor over your airing cupboard, there's no requirement to fire-stop anything going into the roof space.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

In message , Hugo Nebula writes

Does help keep the cluster flies in the loft, though:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Spandy-foam?

(I don't know if it ought to be fire-retardant)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

You too, huh?