"Fixed" outside extension

I want to put a socket outside to plug our patio water feature into (gad that horrible, still at least it's not decking!).

The proper way to do it is obviously to put an RCD protected spur in, and a proper waterproof socket. But of course this would require Part P hoops to be jumped through.

But, right near where I want it is a double socket we never use because it's stuck behind furniture. This is protected by the whole house RCD, but it would be nice to have a local one.

Is it against the rules to drill a hole through the wall, mount a waterproof socket outside, run a flex (rather than cable) through the hole and put an RCD plug on in? Then squeeze something that won't attack the flex into the hole to keep the wind out. Obviously this is something of a bodge, but it's quick, easy, cheaper (why are RCD sockets many times the price of RCD plugs and plain sockets?) and Part P immune.

In fact, getting silly, is it legal to take the plug off the pump, run the flex through a hole in the wall and put the plug (or an RCD plug) on and just plug it in inside when necessary?

Reply to
Nick Atty

I did something very similar to what you are proposing for an outside water feature. It's one of those old barrels with a "hand pump" on the top. Admittedly this was before Part P. . . . no actually, honest it was. I used an outside socket wired to chunky flex, drilled a hole through wall, lined the hole with 15mm copper pipe, mounted the external socket on the wall and siliconed around it. Changed the faceplate on the other side of the wall to one of those double sockets with built in RCD protection and put a plug on the end of the flex. The outside socket is in effect just an extension lead, albeit a short one and is RCD protected. Can also use the lawn mower off it. As I understand from this group you are aloud to change faceplates under Part P, there should still be no problem with doing this.

Reply to
simon beer

Just ignore the Part P s**te and do a proper job. When and if you come to sell, do you really think anyone will know or care an extra socket has been added?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

According to the IEE WIring Matters you can fix a light to the outside of the house providing the connection inside isn't in a kitchen or special location. I don't know if a socket has the same effect.

A local RCD will provide no discrimination, i.e. it will be a matter of luck which trips first in the event of a fault.

Legal I think, and I think reasonably sensible. Use a short length of plastic pipe to sleeve the flex through the wall.

Legally you could dig up the 3-phase supply in the street and tap into it with nails, as suppliers works are outside the provisions of the IEE Regs, let alone Part Pee, but I don't recommend it.

I don't know about others, but I'd be happier encouraging someone to break the law than do something stupid. Why not do a proper job and just forget exactly when it was done?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ha, that's exactly what I was going to say. Anyway, im sure you really did this job in 2004.

-- Mark§ This is an automatic signature of unknown origin

Reply to
Mark

Splash the finished work with creosote - that'll prove it was done before then :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No doubt its been done... never heard it called legal before though. :)

As an easy way to cut through all the twaddlery, this seems set to become the standard advice now.

Reply to
bigcat

I'm just aware that everything I say here is going into long term storage. How long do you think it will be before HMG start data mining google and sending the standards police round...

Reply to
Nick Atty

Although I've just discovered (and posted elsewhere) that the whole house RCD is higher than the 30mA I'd want for this socket.

Yes - that's legal and not reasonably sensible.

Yes - we are going to get bogged down all the time on this issue, aren't we.

Let's summarise: the easy solution (a "captive extension") isn't nasty, but isn't the best.

The "proper" solution is an RCD protected spur.

Reply to
Nick Atty

Well make sure this influences where you put your X on May 5th !!!

Reply to
Mike