Fitting oil central heating

When we moved in to our present property, many years ago, we had oil fired (virtually paraffin) central heating. I changed that to a pressure jet boiler and built a little brick lean to for the boiler. The tank I changed to a 600 gallon tank situated at the front fence, about 90 feet from the boiler. I dug a trench for the oil pipe. We had lots of disruption inside whilst I ran pipework and fitted new radiators.

I retained this setup after gas arrived in the village until the oil tank began to weep oil when I had a gas boiler fitted in my "boiler house" and connected to my plumbing. No disruption as a "mole" was used to get the gas pipe from the street to the property.

I have just had the boiler and all the plumbing and radiators replaced (bit old and infirm to undertake this myself now). Little disruption as the boiler is still in the boiler house and the plumbing was done one room at a time. I do have to get a lot of decorating done, but only because I had fitted skirting radiators in my old system.

Reply to
Old Codger

She could get her OH to fit the boiler under the troll bridge.

Reply to
ARW

Your posts make it obvious that there is nothing upstairs.

Reply to
ARW

If this is a DIY job, download the installation instructions for some boilers, e.g. Worcester. If not, get some quotes and ask what is needed.

Like a gas fired boiler, an oil fired boiler will inevitably probably be more troublesome than an electric system. Oil fired boilers do need annual maintenance.

These days it is very difficult to avoid having a more efficient condensing system, but thus does mean that you need to be able to dispose of the condensate. You also need to learn about 'system' and 'combi' boilers.

Some people like to control their heating with thermostatic radiator valves. Personally I prefer to use a programmable thermostat which lets me set different temperatures according to the time of day. Remote operation may also be something that appeals to you.

Reply to
Michael Chare

+1
Reply to
newshound

It is a feasible DIY job, I have installed two gas fired systems in bungalows (some time ago) and I have replaced two oil boilers. It does require technical knowledge which one can find. It is not like plastering which does require skill!

One of the oil boilers came from my sister's bungalow which she replaced with a new bungalow that did then have underfloor electric heating.

A DIY approach would likely cost half as much or even less, as there appears to be a labour shortage for this type of work in west Kent.

An oil boiler needs electric power, and will stop in a power cut unless you have your own generator.

Oddly an electric 'night storage' type system might be better for short ( say 5 hour) power cuts.

I would be wary of buying a house using electric heating because of the running cost. If others think the same, that would reduce the selling price.

I am surprised.

One of the difficulties with electric heating is knowing how much energy to buy. With oil or gas you just use what you want at the time.

A further option is a ground source heat pump. You do of course need the ground. Two of my neighbours are having this. One is a slow mostly DIY approach, the other is part of a new house build.

Reply to
Michael Chare

This is not an email.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Michael Chare posted

Reply to
Handsome Jack

Some energy companies are offering cheaper deals if you buy a fixed amount in advance.

Reply to
alan_m