Fitting oil central heating

It may not be relevant, but I was given the job of finding someone to do a service on my son's boiler.

It was difficult.

We eventually found one. He discovered the boiler had been repaired on behalf of the previous owners, and had the wrong size of oil supply device (injector?) fitted as well as several other problems.

Reply to
Bill

So, my kitchen messed over to put a boiler in? I dont have room unless I lose my freezer. Whats the noise factor? I live in a bungalow.

Reply to
sweetheart

I dont think he is planning on taking the storage heaters out anyway.

Reply to
sweetheart

Maybe I should add, Oh is intending a) buying a second hand boiler b) fitting all of this himself ( he was a plumber and a gas fitter before he retired 10 years ago) c) thinks its cheaper.

I am worried. hence I have asked for details of what is involved. Thanks for all replies.

Reply to
sweetheart

Have you considered an air source heat pump?

We have been using a gravity fed solid fuel boiler for the last 35 years, boiler is on its last legs and with the grants available at the moment for going electric the price is comparable with fitting an oil system from scratch. You can get systems now which will drive an existing wet radiator system with 60 deg C water. Plus of course the ongoing running costs will be much cheaper than oil - especially when fossil fuels will become a rare expensive commodity in 10 - 20 years time.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Bennet

It may depend on where you live.

A friend lives in a Shropshire village without any mains gas supply and many people have oil boilers. Finding someone to service oil installations in that area isn't a problem.

Reply to
alan_m

Well get the holes sealed up around the pipes and cables properly sealed after installation then, but here we go again. This group can only offer you suggestions , it cannot prevaricate on your behalf as you go through the pros and cons of the advice given finding an excuses not taking up any suggestions given because of other issues implementing them will incur. Such discussions have led to you being accused of troll behavior in the past.

So to simplify you are you asking . Can I install oil fired central heating without having to do any other incidental works that most have to do as part of the task.

Answer . NO

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

A mouse can get through a very small hole so I doubt if you have blocked off all access. The pipe will fill most of the hole and if you are that worried the rest of the hole can be sealed and/or covered with a plastic cover designed for that purpose. In a carpeted room the underlay/carpet can fit tightly around the pipe to hide the hole.

(they do them in various designs including white and wood effect.)

Reply to
alan_m

Honest.

I have designed my own house, installed most of the kitchen and bathroom, built brick walls driven diggers and I STILL would not want to do a CH install in an existing house.

Difficult to tell on a newsgroup. I am inclined not to want it done. I have no love of oil ( I can smell the now disused tanks next door at times so siting a tank near my house would not be a first choice. Siting it further away means longer pipework, bigger trench and more cost?

Building regulations apparently.

I agree.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Doesn't Sweetheart live in Cornwall? Though gas exists in the towns it doesn't penetrate to large areas so Oil , LPG and solid Fuel installations are common as is the service base to support them. If she ever goes through with it and isn't just doing her usual habit of using this group to think aloud any reason not to then many such areas have oil purchasing cooperatives where a few residents of say a village order together from a supplier in bulk and get a discount. My mother does this in Devon it does depend on everyone using amounts oil roughly at the same time and occasionally you can get out of sequence and need an individual order or you have too much left in the tank to accept one but generally it works quite well.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

They are noisy and a bit smelly (if only from the inevitable litle spills of oil during maintenance). I wouldn't want one in a used living space, ours lives in a separate small "boiler room". You can get models designed to live outside.

Installation of the "wet side" would be a quite an up heavel. Is OH wibbling about energy costs? Oil is not to bad ATM but only a couple of years a go it was 60p/l, assuming a reasonably insulated, draught proofed and average sized property you'll probably get through 1000 to 1500 l/year.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thank you. I am not trolling - anyone who has read my posts enough would un derstand the problems I have and why I need often to ask questions. I am so rry if some people find that annoying. I gbuess I am an annoying person but that isnt the same as being a troll. Trolling as I understand it is to pos t inflamatory and discordant opinions to stirr up troubkle.

Asking for a b it of information and trying to clarify what is involved is just me being a bit female of a certain age and in the opinion of some peo ple ( males mostly) a bit silly/ ill informed.

I have looked on the internet for my answers but the information given is q uite scant in quite scant when it comes to the nitty gritty brutal stuff of how things have to be done.

Thank you for the reply anyway. I hope I have clarified things for people. Bear with me.

Reply to
sweetheart

em and now I have managed to seal them out completely ( although I know the y are still there as when a door was replaced they found their way into the kitchen again. Holes in floors means room for the little blighters to inva de doesnt it?

I havent got mice in the house at the moment so I must have been fairly su ccessful. I know they are there, we had a door put in a couple of years ago and the workmen left a hole in the wall at skirting level, within days I saw a mouse pop out of it. I blocked that up PDQ as you can imagine. I have nt had any since . I am always on the look out for the signs.

Reply to
sweetheart

Discount on a quoted price that is higher than the cheapest you can get by phoning round. At least that is my general experience but I do buy 2000 l at a time rather than a tiddly 500 l.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As I have said before, I am sorry you find me annoying. Yes, I do live in deepest darkest rural Cornwall ( not only no gas but no drains either - septic tank provision).

My OH has not mentioned the fact it has to be serviced either. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
sweetheart

All manner of regulations now govern where an oil tank can be. We'll have a problem if they ever come to apply to our tank, as with most regulation changes they aren't retrospective. No part of a tank can be closer than 1 m(?) to a window, inc ase of fire inside breaking out through the window...

tanker

Tanker size varies, most oil firms have a mini tanker that can get down rough farm tracks. 100 m sounds a bit long for the delivery hose to me, there isn't much left on the reel when we get a delivery and I would say they have 50 m or less out. I doubt a mini tanker has that much but then as it can basically get where ever a Land Rover can it doesn't need a long delivery hose.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OH is always complaining about cost. Any cost is too much in his book.

Personally I do not find that £1229 per annum - which is what it cost us to run both E7, storage heating and all electric appliances last year, w as that bad. My mother was far more than that and she has a multi fuel stov e too. I find it hard to understand what is supposed to be "cheap".

Reply to
sweetheart

How much of that is overnight cost? Work out how much that is. Oil translates to electric in cost terms as about 3.4p/unit, at the moment (based on an oil order I put in today).

Guessing that you pay at least 7p/unit for overnight E7, you'd save about half what you pay for overnight E7. A few hundred a year maybe. To have the job done professionally and properly (so the house looks nice again after) I'd have said more like £20000.

Unfortunately it sounds like OH would do it on the cheap - plastic pipes surface mounted.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I also live in deepest darkest Cornwall (not so dark where we are on the coast though), with no gas and no mains drainage. You're far from unique. We have LPG central heating and hot water. Why has he fixated on oil, when he has gas and plumbing experience? Not that it'll make much difference; installing the complete system will still mean a lot of upheaval and dirt, whichever you/he goes for.

I'm having a bungalow modernised a few miles away, including completely updating/replacing the CH and DHW systems (mains gas). The dust and mess is horrendous. Fortunately the property is completely empty and stripped out. Living in it while the work was being done would be near impossible.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That sounds a bit high. We were quoted a bit less than half that for our job (new Vaillant gas boiler, 11 radiators of assorted sizes, mains pressure DHW tank, associated plumbing and installation with all pipework concealed, much of it cut into concrete floors) and the plumber is good; we've had work done by him before and it's to a high standard.

Reply to
Chris Hogg