Fitting Door handle fixing bolts

OK so what's the trick?

The previous owner presumably had the same problem and no matter what I do I can't get the bolt to screw into the other half when in the door and I end up a bit x-threaded - spend the next hour or so twiddling the two parts together until they are nice and smooth again and repeat process.

Reply to
AnthonyL

What sort of door/handle?

Reply to
David Lang

Some photos of your actual door furniture would be useful.

Reply to
Graham.

These things:

Holds the two plates either side of the door together.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Getting the hole through the door at exactly 90 degrees to the door face in all directions. Or drill the hole oversize.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Most of ours are fine, but if the holes are not clean and square to the surface, or the screw/sleeve combo isn't the right length, they can be awkward. I find it best to push the sleeve in as far as it will go, then gently feed the screw in - slowly turning as it gets near rhe end of the sleeve.

Reply to
polygonum

+1 oversize hole.
Reply to
David Lang

AnthonyL scribbled

If you put some hair around the female part, you'll get it in first time, every time.

Reply to
Jonno

Normally the trick is to firstly make sure the holes end up in the right place, then screw the screws a bit the wrong way till you feel them slip past the start of the thread on the other half then go the right way, and normally this stops the cross threading. Do not do one up a lot before you get the second one in the same way. It is a tactile thing though, and if the holes are just a little bet out or too small, its a real pain.

I've done loads of these on doors and the only issue was actually making sure the things lined up.

I'm surprised nobody has made handles with those little rotating cams on them that they use on chipboard hinges by now! Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Any particular brand of hair? From Screwfix?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Reminds me of the definition of indefinitely. When the pubic hairs mingle, you're in, definitely.

Reply to
News

The Natural Philosopher scribbled

You don't know? Time to return to your original nym of "the village f****it".