non-technical question for electricians

I need to get one of these things but don't know the name for it.

When you're taking amperage measurements at mains voltages using a clamp or fork meter, you need to separate the line from neutral or you'll get zilch. What's the name of those gadgets you can get that plug into the mains socket that separate the line and neutral for a few centimetres for your probe to go around then terminate with socket you can plug the appliance you want to measure into?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Home-made extension lead? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Line splitter

US Version

Can't find a UK version but if making your own remember to use double-insulated single core wire between the plug and socket.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Or a cheap off-the-shelf one (Pound Shop/World?) - and carefully remove the outer insulation from a few inches of the mains lead.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

How accurate do you want? Most energy monitors will show the current being used without needing a clamp meter.

Reply to
dennis

If you're looking to do this with something that plugs in, buy a plug-in power meter instead. They're around £10 (and can often be found for less that even that). They'll give you more detail than can be measured with a clamp meter.

Clamp ammeters are normally used for larger high current conductors in distribution cabinets, that you would want to disconnect.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Excellent, spuroge. That's exactly what I'm after, thanks!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Most commonlt referred to as a "howsyerfather" or"Thingummy"

Reply to
Peter Parry

Some moons ago, a guy showed me a normal multimeter with an attachment which was as you describe but all inside a double outlet box with a blanking plate on the other half, and a dangling mains plug. I assume the clamp attachment was inside the box. It was very tidy, and it just had a couple of leads that plugged into the meter.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

I want one of these for Xmas net year just in case theirs a downed 11 KV line look good on my hard hat;)

tony sayer