Fitting Celotex to alcoves

Not too thick in a living area. Too thick enables the carpet to move too much and it wears quicker. We have 11 mm Cloud Nine under the carpet in our temporary(*) living space over concrete probably without insulation. It's comfortable and warm but is too soft, nice in a bedroom. A living space ought to have 9 mm. This is also a polyurethane foam underlay, chopped up soft PU foam bonded into a flat sheet and faced with a plastic film. Draught proof and durable unlike the "rubber crumb" types.

(*) As in the last two years whilst we refurb...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1

other methods of sealing the gaps will work (eg we lifted the floor, laid celotex underneath, and laid a new solid floor), but the crucial point is that you *must* seal all the gaps (including the one next to the wall).

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I don't see that the battens buy you anything other than more work. You can drill the PB and the wall with a mutimaterial bit. and tap in a wall plug on the end of the screw.

Reply to
John Rumm

I don't see screws buy you anything other than a cold bridge. Hot glue the panels up :-)

or plaster or tile cement or sticks like shit..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

when I discussed doing this very thing, my builder matey advised against going over the plaster on the basis it would degrade behind the Celotex. That may have been partly because my plaster is generally a bit flaky but his logic was also that knocking the plaster off would allow a greater depth of celotex without losing space (my plaster is getting on for an inch thick).

Certainly teh room where I did that.along with insulating the floor, is by far the warmest in the house.

Reply to
GMM

Or plasterboard adhesive ? ;-)

I would imagine "hot glue" would be stone cold by the time you've squeezed out enough to stick an 8x4 up... Even assuming the walls were true in the first place...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The point of the couple of screws is to retain the panels against the walls for longer in the event of a fire.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

you don't know hot glue..:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What about meteorite strikes?

Dont forget those.

And its well known that hot glue repels alien invasions.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

phew it has been hot hasn't it?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

gotta link?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Blimey, do you need one?

a BIG blob of hot glue retains heat a LONG time.

9 big blobs and press against wall..
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I shall be insulating my (well my house's) alcoves soon. Plaster removed (less than 25% of course ;- (cough)). I shall be using the wonderful foam adhesive and a couple of frame fixings banged in near the top just in case ... Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Don't you have one?!

Define "long time" & "big blob"....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The low expansion flavour presumably?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I'd agree. But:

The plaster here isn't too bad - 2cm of what looks like loosely bound but quite solid concrete. Very unlike the stuff at my old house in London - hair, stones and dirt held back by a 3mm cement-type skin.

I haven't got the time or energy to clear it right now - 4 walls.

It'll be interesting to see what difference it makes here.

Reply to
RJH

Noted, thanks

Reply to
RJH

Tempting . . .

Cold bridge - yep, but that's going to happen anyway. Glue won't work with the sheet insulation I have - foil faced.

Reply to
RJH

Thinking about it, that's going to need quite large diameter hole - well, the size of the plug. Can't think of a suitable screw or screw/washer combination suitable for PB fixing . . .

Reply to
RJH

The dry wall fixing foam from toolstation, which is low expansion. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson