Fitting Celotex to alcoves

I'd like to lose as little space as possible, so I'm proposing to rebate some battens into the existing plaster, and fix 25mm Celotex and 9mm plasterboard to the battens. Is that about right?

Reply to
RJH

is this an outside wall then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just glue it on & forget battening?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

On Wednesday 17 July 2013 18:22 RJH wrote in uk.d-i-y:

25mm will make a massive difference over nothing. More the better, but when space is a consideration, even 25mm will be worth the effort.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes.

Reply to
RJH

Mmmm. Tempting! However, the Celotex is foil coated both sides - so it would effectively be held on by the foil. I think a screw needs to go through the plasterboard and the Celotex.

Reply to
RJH

Hopefully. It's more a stab at comfort than saving money. The room (ground floor 3.5mx3m, 9" solid brick to two external walls, suspended timber floor) seems to wick heat with some style.

Reply to
RJH

id say use the plasterboard/celotex composite and simply glue it on.

no need for more than 6mm board and as much celotex as you can fit in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 Did the end wall of the lads room with 25 mm celotext bonded to plasterboard, only two sheets but a very noticable difference to the room afterwards. It was an outside wall, 12" or so random stone.

I'm another having trouble relating "alcove" with an outside wall. Little point in insulating internal walls as any heat "loss" through the wall is still inside the building.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

been there had one of them.

Hint. Biggest gain was lining floor with hardboard tacked down and taped over the cracks, then carpeted

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

er 6mm of what? & made by whom?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

a) you can buy sheets of "ready assembled" pb glued to "paper-faced foil" insulation. b) "proper" installation (IIRC see British Gypsum website) calls for 2 long frame fixings through each sheet 1/4 way down to hold it up in case of dire circumstances....

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

On Wednesday 17 July 2013 20:20 RJH wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Putting 15-20mm of closed cell polysterene foam on the floor (actually marmos, saoid foam has both faces bonded to cemented glass fiber mat) under the wood and bathroom tiles made a ginormous difference to the comfort in winter. Hall floor (no marmox) sucks the heat out through your feet, but the bathroom floor, whilst not warmed, is perfectly comfortable.

One thing the 25mm of celotex will do is cut down on cold air convection running off those walls.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Here's hoping. It's a relatively cheap and easy ( I'm another having trouble relating "alcove" with an outside wall.

By alcove I mean an external wall each side of a chimney breast.

Reply to
RJH

On the floor is less of an option. I have a bundle of fibreglass I was going to net/tack between the joists, and pay some attention to draught routes. In addition, thick underlay and carpet.

Reply to
RJH

Long story, but I have 10 sheets of 25mm Celotex and 9mm plasterboard.

Aye, good point - I'll take a look at their guidance.

Reply to
RJH

I was puzzled, but I remembered those old cottages with chimneys on an outside wall, and an alcove either side.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Muy bad, its actually 9mm plasterboard and a bit of celotex. That's the thinnest celotex composite

they say its fine to dot and dab it.

So that's what I would in fact do.

Sharp knife a bit of glue and its up in an hour or so. Then skim it and caulk the corners, or paper it. Nice expensive paper can look great in an alcove.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probly 9,5mm in reality.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Ah...! Similar to here, all our fireplaces are in gable end walls but the walls are thick enough to have everything within the thickness of the wall, no alcoves...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice