Lock for garden gate both sides

Is it possible to fit a lock to a 6 foot wooden gate that can be operated from both sides?

Currently it can only be locked from inside my garden using a simple sliding bolt. But if I leave my property through the gate I cannot lock the gate behind me.

Obviously it can't be a sliding bolt on the outside as anyone could lock me in. Only thing I can think of so far is to cut small holes in the gate and fence, then loop a chain through that I could padlock on the outside as I needed to.

Thumper

Reply to
Thumper

Sliding bolt, and a small 'window' in the gate so that it can be operated from both sides. Big hole in end of bolt (rectangular section) with padlock on that. Can be opened from either side.

Reply to
Bob Eager

One of these?:-

Just the first of many hits searching for "gate lock"

I've seen cheaper versions using what I can only describe as surface mounted mortice locks that are commonly used on thin doors. They're not very secure, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

On Wednesday 17 July 2013 12:53 Thumper wrote in uk.d-i-y:

The usual way is to cut a hand hole next to the bolt so you can access it from outside.

The other way is to fit a mortice lock, if you can find one that is reasonbly weather resistant.

A 3rd way would be to try to find a side slider bolt with a t-bar on both front and back adn cut a slot for the t-bar.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well I put in a normal Mortice lock into the edge of the gate. You need to get one made of a non ferrous metal though or it will rust. It was also a pig to get lined up and keep that way during the warping problems modern wood has!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One problem with gates and locks is that most locks need some precision and gates don't do that. On a shed I have Sqires' combination bolt, but the throw is so little that a gate might well move enough to render it useless. My next-door neighbour got an 18" combination bike-lock cable and that loops around the central ledge and the soil pipe (I put a cup hook on the gatepost to stop the cable descending to the gully when not locked. The cable can be fed round to access the dials from either side.

Although the soil stack is plastic, the main aim is a delaying tactic and, of course, the average gate wouldn't withstand a violent attack.

Reply to
PeterC

This does look good, and all the other ideas are interesting too. Given me plenty to think about.

Reply to
Thumper

That looks very good, especially the 2-sided one. For my neighbour's preferences, we wanted to avoid having a key as it'd always be on the 'wrong' side of the gate - near the front or back door; delete as applicable. Her combi. cable on her gate and my combi. bolt on my shed have the same combination so we don't forget it.

Reply to
PeterC

visit -

pickbestproduct