First Fix Inspection Question

Hi all

Is it usual to leave plastic conduit exposed for first fix inspection, or can I plaster fill the chases - not that I've finished yet unfortunately, just popped into the old head! (all cables run in oval conduit in cut chases)

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Leave the plastering for now, they always want to see the cables entering the boxes, and more specifically, the rubber gromits in place, which they could check just by looking in the boxes, but some of them can be a bit stroppy and think you're trying to hide something.

Reply to
Phil L

"Phil L" wrote

OK Thanks Phil

I've actually continued the conduit into the boxes and grommeted around the conduit where possible. Other group members have done likewise as it allows the cables to be replaced easily if there are any drilling "accidents" now or in future.

Hope I don't get some jobsworth who takes exception to this.

Another Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

In what circumstances is a first fix inspection required ? Who performs this inspection ? I had the BCO round to check the extension roof and windows etc, and he said "see you when it's finished". He wants to see an electrical installation certificate at the end, but round here BCOs do not inspect the electricals. I want to make sure I don't omit a required inspection. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

TheScullster wibbled on Friday 16 July 2010 08:34

Why would he? If he does, ask him to cite which bit of BS7671 it contravenes, because he'll be there a long time failing miserably. What you've done is excellent - better than the minimum standard.

Reply to
Tim Watts

sm_jamieson wibbled on Friday 16 July 2010 09:58

Tunbridge Wells LABC said they do this too.

Their agents (ie tame contractors).

Same here.

If he's said all he wants is an EIC, give him the EIC :)

Take a few photos of first fix-y type stuff and the inside of a few boxes with wiring done - you can always include those with the EIC - a typical BCO will interpret neatness as indication of someone who knows what they are doing, or just hold onto the photos in case of queries.

Reply to
Tim Watts

"sm_jamieson" wrote

In what circumstances is a first fix inspection required ? Who performs this inspection ? I had the BCO round to check the extension roof and windows etc, and he said "see you when it's finished". He wants to see an electrical installation certificate at the end, but round here BCOs do not inspect the electricals. I want to make sure I don't omit a required inspection. Cheers, Simon.

Hi Simon

I had some structural(ish) re-work done in 2006 which included a wall out and door added to the kitchen. This was obviously going to impact on the electrics and electrickery stuff in kitchens and bathrooms is notifiable under Part P, so you can't just DIY it. Even if you install, test and document all in accordance with BS7671, it still needs to be certified by an authorised party. When the structural work was complete, I received the following email from our BCO:

Following a site inspection on the 20th March [2006] I am satisfied that the works carried out to date are acceptable. Electrical works should be made available for inspection at first fix and completion unless the work is being carried out by a contractor who is registered on the domestic installer scheme.

To date, we have survived using what was left of the old electric installation (safe to use, but very limited). Now I am proceeding with first fix on the understanding that they will honour the above undertaking.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

"Cable supports and enclosures shall not have sharp edges liable to damage the wiring system" is the regs view.

So cables coming out of conduit into a back box is fine.

Cheers

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks, I think I'll phone the BCO and feign innocence, saying "what do I do about electrical inspections ?" It may work out cheapest to have an electrician do it (ouch it's painful to say that !). Simon

Reply to
sm_jamieson

"sm_jamieson" wrote

Thanks, I think I'll phone the BCO and feign innocence, saying "what do I do about electrical inspections ?" It may work out cheapest to have an electrician do it (ouch it's painful to say that !). Simon

My understanding was (certainly at the time this procedure was introduced) the BCO could not charge extra for the electrical inspection/testing and that this was all covered under the building notice. Other group members have found that certain BCOs have found an escape clause and try to charge for this. The problem is that (to the letter of the law/regulation) a contract electrician cannot inspect and sign off your work, unless they are appointed to do so by the BCO. So you really need to know which route you are taking before starting work.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Putting aside the charging matter, are building control obliged to offer an "inspection" service for electrics (via an appointed electrician or whatever) ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson