Fireplace in a shed?!

Any reason why you can?t put one in? Or are there regulations that prohibit it.

Here in the UK stoves fitted into residences should be installed to HETAS. stds but unless it is one of those posh ?sheds? where guests can sleep the rules are less stringent,though you do have to be sensible so it pays to follow the guidelines anyway especially with clearances to combustible materials. But in a shed you don?t have to spend 100?s on an approved stove ,many a DIY stove has been made from a bit of large diameter steel pipe and some metal sheet or there are unapproved stoves sold for about £50 on eBay. Cause bung your shed on wheels it becomes a ?Shepherds Hut? and the rules can be relaxed as well.

There used to be 1000?s of small sheds in the UK with a stove, they were every few miles along railway lines and were for the track gangers to have a place to warm up and store tools in back when they had to walk to the location.. Often the brick or stone chimney in the undergrowth by a railway line or disused one still remains though the timber of the shed has long disappeared.

This sort of thing.

GH

Reply to
Marland

You can make one from a propane bottle, I may someday but it is summer here and I won't think of it till winter when it is too late :)

Reply to
FMurtz

My bath is much too small and the bathroom is not big enough for a big one and as I live in a semi rural area with tons of wood I have been entertaining thoughts of an external bath hut with a wood burner water heater,( need a "round tuit" )

Reply to
FMurtz

I keep a dressing gown tie draped over the edge of my small bathtub so spiders can get out. (I like spiders, they keep the flies and mozzies down)

Reply to
FMurtz
8M x 6M

That?s not a shed!

They sell million pound HOUSES smaller than that in London

Reply to
cpvh

I have a hearth in my Mother of all Sheds and the multi-fuel stove to fit.

Just haven't got a Tuit which is round enough at the moment.

Nothing very complicated, although the shed is concrete block and the roof metal which reduces the flammability somewhat.

A HETAS installer told me that because it wasn't habitable (no fixed bed) the regulations were not mandatory. Just very sensible.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

What regulations? I've got my garage plumbed into the house gas central heating :-)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you're an installer maybe. Nobody cares or knows if you fit your own. The guy who lives behind me fitted one himself, lovely smell of burning wood when the wind blows the right way. My other neighbour hates it as it gets on her washing :-)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can't say I'd enjoy the prospect of cutting into a propane bottle.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Do they f*ck. I have flies AND spiders. The only advantage of a spider is when you swat the disgusting little creature, you know you've effectively killed 50 flies.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Just take a cold bath, soap works in cold water.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Did you laugh or vomit?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Washing with soap is a chemical process, and chemical reactions are faster at higher temperatures. Why do you think washing machines have heaters in them?

Reply to
Max Demian

Why do you think washing machines have a cold wash selection? Why do you think Germans all wash with cold water? Design the soap right, you don't need heat.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Easy peasy and safe as houses. numerous ways, fill with water and angle grind or if you have CO2 same thing.

Reply to
FMurtz

They don't.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

How does swating a spider kill 50 flies ? Does swating a student have the same effect, I've heard that the number of insects have been decreasing in recent years.

Reply to
whisky-dave

And if you leave a bit of propane in it?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The Germans started the cold wash invention in the 80s. We're well behind in the UK, most of us still use 30C or 40C.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That?s what the water is for, to ensure you don?t, stupid.

Reply to
Jac Brown