Fireplace in a shed?!

I came across a shed today, 8x6m, brick built, with a slate roof, and a chimney! Not a boiler or wood burning stove type thing, but a traditional brick chimney. Any idea as to why someone would do that? It was seperate from the house, by a distance of about 8m.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Wish I had a wood burner fire in my 10.5x7 metre metal shed.

Reply to
FMurtz

Any reason why you can’t put one in? Or are there regulations that prohibit it.

Here in the UK stoves fitted into residences should be installed to HETAS. stds but unless it is one of those posh “sheds” where guests can sleep the rules are less stringent,though you do have to be sensible so it pays to follow the guidelines anyway especially with clearances to combustible materials. But in a shed you don’t have to spend 100’s on an approved stove ,many a DIY stove has been made from a bit of large diameter steel pipe and some metal sheet or there are unapproved stoves sold for about £50 on eBay. Cause bung your shed on wheels it becomes a “Shepherds Hut” and the rules can be relaxed as well.

There used to be 1000’s of small sheds in the UK with a stove, they were every few miles along railway lines and were for the track gangers to have a place to warm up and store tools in back when they had to walk to the location.. Often the brick or stone chimney in the undergrowth by a railway line or disused one still remains though the timber of the shed has long disappeared.

This sort of thing.

GH

Reply to
Marland

You can make one from a propane bottle, I may someday but it is summer here and I won't think of it till winter when it is too late :)

Reply to
FMurtz

I have a hearth in my Mother of all Sheds and the multi-fuel stove to fit.

Just haven't got a Tuit which is round enough at the moment.

Nothing very complicated, although the shed is concrete block and the roof metal which reduces the flammability somewhat.

A HETAS installer told me that because it wasn't habitable (no fixed bed) the regulations were not mandatory. Just very sensible.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

What regulations? I've got my garage plumbed into the house gas central heating :-)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you're an installer maybe. Nobody cares or knows if you fit your own. The guy who lives behind me fitted one himself, lovely smell of burning wood when the wind blows the right way. My other neighbour hates it as it gets on her washing :-)

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can't say I'd enjoy the prospect of cutting into a propane bottle.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Easy peasy and safe as houses. numerous ways, fill with water and angle grind or if you have CO2 same thing.

Reply to
FMurtz

And if you leave a bit of propane in it?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That’s what the water is for, to ensure you don’t, stupid.

Reply to
Jac Brown

Call me stupid again and I'll hunt you down and slice off your head.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed drunken psychotic fantasys, stupid stupid stupid.

Reply to
Jac Brown