Fire door aesthetics redux

We need fire doors (for three bedrooms). Alternatives are:

  • rather unattractive embossed ones
  • rather expensive oak ones
  • flat, unpanelled ones

The unpanelled ones look - in the catalogue - like the kind of thing I'd expect to see in an office rather than a home.

Are they likely to look startlingly odd once in situ in a domestic context? The domestic context is a 1930s semi-detached house.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Plain wood likely to go well in a 1930s I would have thought, especially if dark. A lot depends on handles etc. Stainless steel handles will look office-y.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Are you permitted to "tart up" firedoors? I've read some articles in a woodworking mag. where they take plain veneered doors and add false wooden panels, paint jobs and better handles. The transformation was incredible (and cheap).

Even a coat of paint, applied with some originality would make quite a difference.

Reply to
pete

The other option is often to keep the original doors and coat them with intumescent varnish, and if needed add intumescent strips. The varnish comes in various fire ratings, but it aint cheap.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Well, we had already decided to replace the doors, as the varnish option is apparently not very attractive anyway.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida