Which fire door in loft extension

I am doing the 2nd fix on a loft conversion in a victorian semi, . I need to install 1/2 hour fire, 4 panel, 2 foot 3inch doors to the new bedrooms. (5

1/4 inch )

I have looked at Magnets and Alsfords and am confused by the choice.

Alsfords do John Carr doors at about £170 per door plus the casings and vat. Intumescent strips are fitted to the door edges on 3 sides.

Magnets have a 'canterbury' range at about £85 per door. I think they are moulded. Intumescent strips are extra and are rebated into the liners.

I want to do a good quality job, but is the extra cost of the more expensive doors justified ?

Thanks

John

Reply to
JG3

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:31:13 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "JG3" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Fire doors in loft conversions need to achieve 20 minutes fire resistance. Most if not all manufacturers only test their doors to 30 minutes with intumescent strips in place. So strictly speaking there's nothing to say that a door without intumescent strips will achieve 20 minutes. However, most BCOs will accept a standard fire door without intumescents as giving 20 mins, but check with your Council first.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula