Finger twitching nervousness

This W10 new desktop facility is really getting on my t*ts, almost more so than the Amazon fiasco (qv).

I almost don't dare to touch the mouse pad lest the display all disappears up into the top left corner with icons for each open program.

This is * B L O O D Y * annoying.

Surely there must be some way of disabling this unwanted and unnecessary facility??????????????????????

Reply to
gareth evans

I've never experienced any such "facility".

Reply to
Andy Burns

How do you get the the open programs disappearing into icons in the top left corner?

I normally use Alt-Tab to cycle through the open applications.

Reply to
SH

What version of win10 are you using..

Reply to
jon

Windows Key + Tab is the official way, but there's also some mouse stroking that does it, and I don't know what because whenever I try to do it deliberately to try to work out what I'm doing and so to stop doing it, I can never get it to happen!!!!!!!!

Reply to
gareth evans

Whatever is foisted onto me by the unstoppable Windows updates.

Reply to
gareth evans

A 3hree or four finger upward swipe, you can turn them off in settings/touchpad

Reply to
Andy Burns

Hold the windows key, hit R, type winver in the edit box, then click ok

Reply to
John Rumm

that sounds like you need to take a look at your mouse settings & hot mouse strokes?

Reply to
SH

I'd been referred to that before, but no such selections in my settings / touchpad.

... and I never do a 3 or 4 fingered swipe so it's not that!

Reply to
gareth evans

Version 2004 Build 19041.928

Reply to
gareth evans

Install linux? :-)

... well, somebody had to suggest it...

#Paul

Reply to
#Paul

If you mean Task View, might you have the Task View button on the taskbar and be clicking that accidentally? If so you can get rid of it by right clicking the icon and unticking Task View in the menu.

Robin

No. I know all about that and the Windows+tab to get it.

I've tried 3 and 4 finger swiping, left, right, up, down and diagonally and can't trigger it, so what triggers it leaves me mystified.

Perhaps it's something to do with a 7, nearly 8, year old laptop?

Reply to
gareth evans

ok, reading between the lines a bit here, I would guess you are ending up in "task view". (it shows a map of smaller versions of every window on a particular screen, plus a timeline of documents opened recently - also serves as a place to create extra virtual desktops to allow groups of windows to be swapped in and out quickly - quite handy on small laptop screens).

You can get to it on recent versions of Win 10 by clicking the "stacked boxes" icon close to the search gadget on the task bar.

Now, there are a couple of different systems for doing stuff with a trackpad. The "modern" one is with "gestures" - however these are generally only suited to multi-touch trackpads, and not all laptops have these. If yours is supported, then Settings->Devices->Mouse & Touchpad, will let you configure these.

For systems that lack muti-touch capability there are also "edge swipes" or "edge gestures". A swipe on the left edge of the pad will go into task view on a recentish version of Win 10

Edge swipes can be enabled and disabled, but windows leaves this to the vendor of the trackpad if they have supplied their own version. Some vendor's drivers allow these to be disabled, however some don't. For those that don't, you can just opt to uninstall the vendors driver and windows will revert to its default Human Interface Device driver for most touch pads. That will normally disable them, or at least provide a configuration option.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry, I can't help further. But - with apologies if I'm the only one who is unclear - is it Task View you are triggering or is it something else?

Reply to
Robin

I didn't know that it was called Task View, but yes, that is what comes up.

I've been a Wondows user since 3.11 (and was then a programmer in VB6) and I do not appreciate new unwanted and unexplained facilities being foisted on me.

Reply to
gareth evans

I'd already said in another life that I'm getting more and more pissed-off with Microsoft that the next PC I go for will be Linuxy

Reply to
gareth evans

Before you commit in any way you can run Linux on your existing PC from a DVD or USB drive and start to get a feel for it?

Whilst I have a few Linux only machines, I also have it dual boot (with Windows) on some and on a couple on external / USB drive. If you stick it on a 64G SSD in a USB3 external enclosure and in a USB3 port on a PC / laptop it runs pretty quickly. Once finished you unplug it, reboot and your PC is back as it was. ;-)

It is a good idea to have such a solution handy in any case, Linux Mint is pretty good and user friendly.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or you could download the linux ISOs and load them into Hyper V (as local installation source) which is part of Windows so you can try Linux from within the Windows 10 desktop?

You do have to turn off Secure Boot setting or Linux won't load within Hyper-V

You can then delete the VM if you don't like that flavour of Linux or if you do, ytou can thengo the whole hog and install linux on your disk of choice and boot off that.

Another way is to download & create a LiveDVD/CD and boot off that but it then is in Read only mode and does not write anything to your physical disks

Reply to
SH