Ferm mitre saw / opinions ?

know if they`re worth bothering with, and do they come with a blade ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

What do you want to do with it?

With a 200mm blade, the cutting capacity is relatively small.

I've looked at something identical to this in a DIY store (Focus I think). If you want something simple for occasional use and aren't too worried about accuracy and repeatability , then not bad value for money. You are not going to be able to do fine work on it, though, the construction is too light for that.

The Screwfix ad says it has a blade. Sometimes you can make an improvement in the cutting by fitting a better quality blade. This one has a funny size though. 18mm bore is not all that common so this may prove restrictive.

Mitre saws get somehat better at the £50-60 range, then it's a jump to about £150 for something reasonably solid.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Can't speak for that particular model but I bought this one 2 years ago

It is OK but wouldn't use it for any serious accurate work! My line of DIY/business is carcassing/shed building so fine for that. Mine did come with a blade, but replaced it now with a better one.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

I have the NuTool badged version of one of those. It is at best OK so long as you understand the limitations.

The maximum cut is limited - it will do 4x2", but only for straight cuts. The mitre cuts can be reasonably accurate if you take the time to carefully setup the mitre end stops (I have used my one for making picture frames reasonably successfully).

The bevel cut is far less useful - you need to adjust it with a spanner and there is no useful scale to set the cut angle to. You also loose depth of cut rapidly with increasing angle.

So in summary if you want something to cut loads of stud work for building a shed or the like, then it is an ideal disposable tool - it is accurate enough and cuts fast. If you want something for fine furniture making or for cutting bigger stock sizes (i.e. skirting for example) then look elsewhere.

On the subject of blades, Screwfix do one fine toothed blade that will fit this saw - that will give a decent finish on the finer stuff.

Reply to
John Rumm

Can't be bad at that price, I paid more for a blade!

Reply to
Nige

Still haven`t made a start on the skirting etc due to an accident in the family which included accident damaged motorbikes, broken spines and paralysis :-/

Ooh I missed that bit :-}

OK thanks for the replies (everyone) - I might just end up going with the wifes` idea of hiring one when required :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I bought a mitre saw from B&Q today - reduced from 49.99 to 25.98. They had loads of powertools half price. Seems to work pretty well, I'm pleased with it.

ROSIE

Reply to
Rosie

If it cuts a 4x2 it will cut a 5x1 skirting near enough through, as the chord of the cutting depth is large enough.

I believe I was using one some months back and commented on it here. It has since doubled in price apparently.

I have just bought a £50 34 volt Ferm impact drill/screwdriver to be prepared for the demise of my 24 volt. It seems adequate and the firm gave me 3 years guarantee. Who can quarrel with that?

If the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired with this saw -as it does on the tilt I believe, then that is simply remedied with a 17mm spanner. The thing got damaged in the van and then got stolen would you believe? We were still using it with the handle and trigger damaged. It did OK on

4" skirting even then. I'd buy another one if my 10" wasn't even handier.

Don't be such a penny pincher. You couldn't get a meal in Gordon Ramsay's kitchen for £37. (Nor for a damn sight more too, neither -so the stories go.)

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I got the toledo badged one from screwfix ages ago it came with a blade .The actual saw great for cutting 90/90 degree cuts, which lets face it is what 99% of cuts are.Mitres are ok ish but takes time to set the blade back to 90/90 Cuts thru 4X2 , CLS studding , battening etc good enough

As a measure of its usefullness in the pile of powertools under the stairs it is atthe front ahead of its heavier bigger sliding brother ( which gets used for wider boards half lap joints , mitres etc)

But for 30 quid not a bad little buy

Steve

Reply to
steve

It might just on a straight cut - depends on the thickness of the stock, the limitation is usually the guard catching on the work piece rather than the blade diameter being insufficient.

For cutting mitres on skirting it would also be let down by the poor precision setting the blade tilt accurately.

Reply to
John Rumm