Fein Multimaster - Is there a cheaper alternative

Since you haven't tried one your views are conjecture as in near everything else.

Several skilled people here have said how good it is and worth the money.

Do you ever use any of the tools you spout off about? Apart from a hacksaw, obviously.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

** snip babbling senile tripe **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That really depends on your scale of values.

That is an assertion that you can't really justify. I think that most people are able to make their own decisions.

That is a matter of judgment for the individual. Neither you nor I can decide that.

My assessment, based on ownership and use is that this is a tool with good value for money because I can produce good results and save time.

Your assessment, based on seeing a demo, looking at the price, but never having used is that it is expensive.

If you don't want or can't afford one, then don't buy, but don't assume that your rationale applies to everybody. I don't.

Reply to
Andy Hall

decet-quality

Matt, stop prattling crap.

Again: "Most of the functions, most people would use once in a while."

It is clear it is a glorified sander. That is clear.

And knowing what it can and can't as well - the most important point. but

If it was worth paying £160 then I would, but for the odd usage I'll give it a miss. Over the past week I have sent about £200 on hand tools. They useful and will be used and earn their keep.

It applies to 95% of sane mortals.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Just how come someone who claims to have been a 'pro' is suddenly buying such things?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A shame isn't it. He must think pros don't buy tools. I hope the home makes some progress with him soon.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How are you going to use ten plastic pipe cutters?

Just using one would have kept you out of trouble.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, oh a quiz. How would I use ten plastic pipe cutters? Cutting concrete?

Cutting what concrete with it?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

There is a method that I use - I can't say that I've ever seen anyone else do it - that prevents cutting into the adjacent boards.

Set the cutting depth to a little less than the thickness of the board, and remove the tounges from either side of the board to be raised, for a distance of a foot or more past the intended "end" cut. Apply a bolster to either side of the board, and raise it higher than the remaining boards, at the position of the intended cut. Cut through the board at either end and remove the required part.

Job done!

Reply to
Will

200 quids worth of hand tools all at once? Is this a gold plated hacksaw?

Of course if you'd bought decent tools in the first place you'd not need to buy so many in one go.

But what does your nurse say about your fantasies?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A standard method.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Unfortunately "applying" a bolster to either side of the board tends to ruin it, and the ones on each side. Plunge cutting with a jigsaw is the best method I've used so far. You can screw a stepped block onto the top of the board and lever on that, but it's a bot more time-consuming.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yep. Amazing isn't. That is a lot to you as the homes only give you pocket money when they take you out. I bet you spent it all.

** snip senile dribble and tripe **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes - that's one way, but falls down if you need to cut close to a wall that the boards go under.

I'm sticking with the broken jigsaw blade. They're cheap and have no real disadvantages.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It would be more amazing if you actually said what you'd bought. We could all do with a laugh on a bleak day like this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Better with a fine handsaw I would have thought

for a distance of a foot or more past the intended "end" cut.

You must have very flexible floorboards

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You laugh at tools? I believe there is a drug being developed that may rectify your problem.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

My God!! Only on the Internet. He uses broken tools as well. The home should never let him out, he is dangerous. Appalling!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In a disposable machine, maybe - but they give the gears in the jigsaw a real hammering. I have seen 'em splinter!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I know. This senile man is a walking disaster area.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel