Fein Multimaster - Is there a cheaper alternative

Using it tilted isn't using it properly. Read the instructions.

The difference being that you can set the depth of cut with a circular saw and then use it as intended with the soleplate flat on the floor.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Nope. They can use other ways of getting the same functionality and impinge patents.

I just don't think there is a market, as in the same reason why there is no £15 mains angle drill around. The cheapest is around £115, which is basically an angle grinder body and chuck

Already have one and have had it for eons. I saw a wonderful cushioned handled, fore and aft, hacksaw in B&Q for £20. Now that was the business.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The snag with using a circular saw is that it will cut well into the boards either side. The jigsaw method doesn't. Also, I'd not much be worried about a jigsaw blade hitting a nail - but rather unhappy if it happened with a 30 quid tipped blade.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you didn't have/couldn't afford the Multimaster, could/would you use the Arbortech to trim skirting? Using the guard of the grinder as a guide, could it make a reasonably straight cut?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Not a fecking hope....

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Such as?

If the functionality and operation can't be replicated for a fiver there wouldn't be a £15 product.

From what I've seen, Fein seem to be doing pretty well with the Multimaster at its price point.

In terms of what can be achieved, and time saved, I think it's not expensive at all. However, I value time taken, quality achieved and ease of use much more highly than initial purchase price.

Try taking it out of the packing?

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can patent the functionality a suit is like patenting the wheel.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Could you possibly say that again in English, please.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can't patent the functionality as it is like patenting the wheel.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

However, the versatility and ease of use and time to a quality result are the reasons that this is a successful product.

THe mechanics, motor arrangement and cutting tools are certainly part of that and represent the product's differentiation.

Clearly the manufacturer thinks that that is worth protecting.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is not. It is the attachments that give it the array of functionality, as the base unit is a detail sander. Many others can copy that functionality in a different package and Multimaster can't do a thing about it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The design and range of the attachments are part of the product. Several are also patented.

Possibly, although some are not all that successful at it....

Andy Hall

functionality,

copying the Multimaster. You are a very confused Matt.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I doubt whether Matt is confused at all, I'm certainly not.

That the illustrated product from one of your favourite labels was discontinued a while ago is not important. It was simply an illustration that products that are apparently similar are not, and that making them down to a price rather than to a level of quality can have dire consequences for the user.

You may remember the story of the incendiary angle grinder from a while ago.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt is very confused.

Matt, the Ryobi sander had a switch which was a poor design and they dropped it. Most makes have duds. You are trying make out this episode of 9 years ago is typical across the current Ryobi range, which is ludicrous to do so.

Made by some unknown make from Screwfix. And which none of this has anything to do with cloning a Multimaster.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

-- freddyuk

Reply to
freddyuk

I'm sure they can. I look forward to a world of affordable decet-quality Multimaster clones forn the likes of Bosch.

But in the meantime, no-one _has_ cloned it. If you want to use the tool now, you need to buy the real product.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

AFAICS it's a detail sander with a host of, somewhat contrived, attachments. Having looked at the applications on the web site, I can't see that I would use it for anything else. Removing a broken tile? You must be kidding.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Not at all. I have, and it was very effective at doing so without making further damage. I have also for many of the applications listed on the web site.

The action of even the detail sander is quite different from others that I've used, largely because of the very small amount of oscillation of the head.

I use the Multimaster a lot - probably as much as the workhorses such as the cordless drills etc.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you need to use the functionalites every day, then you buy it, otherwise an expensive toy. Most things it does can be done by other cheaper means. Most of the functions, most people would use once in a while.

Nice product, handy, all in one, but far too expensive for what it is (a glorified sander).

Reply to
Doctor Drivel