Fein Multimaster - Is there a cheaper alternative

I'm looking at the Fein Multimaster to do a few jobs:-

Cut out sections of skirting board.

Cut out small sections of sheet (chipboard) flooring

I've seen the Fein Multimaster in action & was very impressed.

But at about £150 are there any alternative brands???

Cheers

Reply to
Bargains

I find that I use mine a lot - probably more than any other power tool. You mentioned cutting, but then there are various forms of sanding, scraping and other capabilities.

I looked long and hard for an alternative, and have not seen anything as good and with the same action.

As far as I'm concerned, the Fein has definitely earned its keep.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do Google there was a recent thread on this. Discs are available for angle drills to cut skirting.

one of the rotothingies will cut out the floor. These are available in most sheds quite cheaply now. I saw one for £17 in Aldi recently. Screwfix Ferm No. 12875 The B&Q PP Pro is better all around and it comes with a circle cutter.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have not seen any comparable tool other than an Austrailian version on sterroids that is good for removing bricks and tree lopping etc, but those are 700 quid!

There are other ways of doing the jobs... cutting the skirting is the most tricky. A hand tool like the Azebiki saw from Axminster would make a neat enough job for most of the cut - you may need a sharp chisel to finish. You could also do a rougher cut with a reciprocating saw. Possibly even a jigsay using a snapped off flush cut blade.

under the floor can be done very will with a jig made by Trend called the Routabout that you use with a router. It cuts a neat circular acces hole. You then take the material removed, slot it into one of the purpose made frames, and it then snaps back into the floor as a little access hatch you can open again in future should you need. This is probably a better solution than using a multimaster.

are other options for getting under the floor - snapped off blade in a jigsaw is one (so you can cut down the middle of a joist). The Azebiki saw would also do it.

Reply to
John Rumm

in

Has anybody used one, it looks a bit of a handfull. I can't imagine that the result would be very neat except when done by an expert.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

in

It is just a blade on an angle drill.

A steady hand and anyone should master it.

The Multimaster is a detail sander with extras. You can buy a detail sander for £10. £25 gets you a good Ryobi.

£28 for this blade £25 for a detailed sander £17 for a Rotzip thingy form Aldi

That is: £70 max and they will all do most of what the multimaster will do, and even more, and better too in many circumstances. A big difference to £160

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Hardly.

Take a look at

You can buy a detail sander

Possibly, but nothing of any quality and certainly not like the Multimaster in operation.

No such thing.

Such as?

Certainly, but also comparing apples and pears.

Do you actually have a Multimaster? have you even used one?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, I use it a lot, for jobs like carving Windsor chair seat bases. It's an entirely different tool to a saw and is in no way a substitute for a Multimaster (which is a wonderful gadget and well worth having).

Drivel is, yet again, talking complete and utter rubbish about tools he's never used. No doubt he thinks the PPro "50 quid Xmas Bag O' Crap" deal on all the posters is a good idea.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It is.

There is such a thing as Ryobi do make one.

That lot can do what the multimaster does and even more. If you need one tool in your bag as you travel around then the multimaster is what you carry, as in having the Wickes (Kress) drill/driver and angle drill all in one drill package. Many tradesmen will not carry tools, although useful, they only use occasionally.

No. need as a few other cheaper alternative does what it does, and even more.

Nope, but sen a demo. Its functionality is the point and there are cheaper ways of achievement what it does with a variety of tools. This is DIY, not the waste your money news group.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I love the way he goes on about Rotazip or whatever as if it were an accurate tool. Used freehand in most types of wood it has a mind of its own. But he's seen a video demo and believes everything on it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Read why I write. It takes concentration. Try.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Richard here is obviously a poor craftsman. They don't let him near sharp things in the home.

** snip senile drivel **
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I find a circular saw quick and easy. Just make sure you remember to set the depth of cut so that you don't cut any pipes or cables.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Why snap a blade off? This is abuse of your tool. Use an ordinary blade, tip the tool onto its nose, and go along like that. If you just use a short piece of blade perpendicular to the floor, it will play hell with the gears.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

He probably used this to rip out his wonderful forced air system.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please be more careful in snipping and quoting as the above could be read as though I advocated using a snapped off blade. Someone else said it, not me.

I don't like your method, either. It would be all too easy to get the depth wrong and cut a cable or pipe. It could be dangerous if the blade snags.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I don't see how it could be read as you say, unless you're using some sort of stupid newsreader (or can't dechipher quotes properly).

if people aren't able to use a jigsaw properly, they shouldn't be using one at all. Should they cut too deep with a circular saw, floorboard saw, or anything else, the same holds true.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I meant the use of the words "good" and "Ryobi" in the same sentence. "Above average" would be more accurate.

So no to both questions.

DIY does not necessarily equate to doing things on the cheap.

It is perfectly reasonable to use professional quality tools for DIY purposes if the user wishes to do so, finds the tools better to use and can produce a better outcome.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've never used the 'snap-off' method. I use the tipping method like Chris but I'd still call it abuse of the tool as it's not exactly an orthodox way of using it.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

I agree. They can be dangerous if abused.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel