Fein Multimaster - Is there a cheaper alternative

It's just a blade, for gawd's sake. They're not exactly an endangered species.

To me that puts more strain on the jigsaw. With the 'broken' blade - set to give a maximum cut the thickness of the board - you still start with the jigsaw pivoted but quickly end up with it operating normally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:56:52 -0000, "Doctor Drivel" oozed several words purporting to be english:

Then you can't possibly have any reasonable chance of giving any balanced comment on the matter. I bought one more or less based solely on the literature that came bundled with an Axminster promotion a couple of years ago. I took a chance as I needed a detail sander and having relied on circular or rectangular orbital ones before the ability to power finish right into a corner was essential for this particular job - without making a number of customised backing plates the air tools I had previously used just couldn't give me access (but having said that the air motors were extremely light and also relatively vibration free)

I had seen, and more importantly tried most that is available from the most basic B&Q/B&D/Bosch/DeWalt/Wickes etc up to around the 200 quid mark. With most I would end up with vibration white finger in literally minutes, the dust extraction facilities were also usually none existent, the finish they provided was only just passable. They might be useful for a one off *tiny* household project but nothing more. The "Blue" Bosch was just about ok for sanding at around 80 quid but far less versatile than the Multimaster, and there were also others (paying for the name) that were way too expensive at 200 quid for nothing but a basic sander. And shock, horror, I even dismissed Makita (although their filing sander is simply superb)

I ended up picking up the Multimaster in a cheap package as damaged stock, in reality just the corners of the cardboard box were dented, for around 100 quid (reduced from 140) and was still unsure if it would be all it was cracked up to be. But the reality is for a lot of jobs the Multimaster is way better than they claim. Having said that, for extended use some form of anti-vibration grip/sleeve would be extremely useful. For the job I bought it for which has specific access issues that only the Multimaster can solve "off the shelf" it has saved me literally hundreds of pounds and at the end of the day that, and the quality of the finish is all that matters. The range of the attachments is so wide I doubt you'd ever use them all but no other manufacturer, even across a number of tools has *anything* that comes close to the wide range of jobs it can tackle. The era of having a bunch of half assed clone copies of dubious build quality passed me by years ago. Others, surprisingly maybe even ones who just peer at catalogues all day, might have lower standards and a desire for shelves full of spare tools just in case one goes wrong but not me.

Also for (almost) invisibly lifting sections of floorboards it has to my eyes absolutely no equal.

(no connection with any of the companies mentioned, just a satisfied user)

Reply to
Matt

Lord Hall, I can. I know what it does, and others can do that in a variety of tools that is collectively cheaper.

You bought it on chance because of its sanding abilities? £160 for a detail sander? Lord Hall?

Lord Hall, what clone is there?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What does "for a DIYer" mean? This is completely irrelevant in terms of tools and materials chosen for a job.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well said. My experience is the same with this.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, it would be.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, the op wants top do some simple tasks which a multimaster is way over the top in price, when what he wants doing can be met using cheaper tools.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You don't know that. The comment was that he likes the Multimaster and thinks that it will do all that he wants to do. I can confirm that, because I have one and have done all of the jobs mentioned with it and very well. If anything, they undersell it.

The next question is whether there is an equivalent tool available for less money, and the answer to that one is a clear no.

The fact that you have had to scratch around to come up with a variety of unsuitable crap (i.e. no one tool does all the things mentioned) illustrates that point clearly. Moreover, none of them are as effective at their individual tasks as the Multimaster doing the same job.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, such nonsense. The tool do the specific jobs admirably.

Wrong. The multimaster is a jack of all trades and master of few.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I see. Exactly how do you justify that position considering that on your own admission, you don't own one, have never touched one and have only seen a short demo?

Bit of a tricky one really...

Reply to
Andy Hall

You are backing up an expensive purchase, that's all.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Cut a wall tile in half, while still attached to the wall.

Saw out the screwhead that had worked loose from a mortice lock ,jamming the door shut, whilst the door is still jammed shut.

Remove a glued-in windscreen (not a rubber trim) without damage.

Cut the pipes loose from a mixer tap, where the wasn't room to swing a hacksaw.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not really. I don't need to do so.

I check into things carefully before buying - you know my criteria for that.

Anything that doesn't do what it says on the box goes back (witness the Scorpion saw). I don't take prisoners in regard to crappy products or crappy service.

It's unusual that I need to return anything. This is mainly from choosing carefully, buying on quality, functionality and servicability and then finally on price.

Taking much longer over a piece of work, producing a poor result and returning faulty or poorly performing product is a much more expensive activity than buying something decent in the first place.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:32:06 -0000, "Doctor Drivel" wittered and whined in his usual pathetic manner:

No, for the specific job I was doing (and continuing to do) the Multimaster was, and still is the ONLY tool that off the shelf fulfilled the functionality I required.

No, I bought it because of its specific sanding abilities with one attachment that NO other sander actually offered. The fact it can also be used for a whole host of other uses is a bonus. It also cost me 100 quid (including VAT) not 160.

Precisely no clones, no copies, even a whole bunch of tools duplicated and triplicated from your numerous suppliers to fictional tradesmen all over North London wouldn't ever replace it. But having never owned one you wouldn't realise that would you?

Reply to
Matt

I have done that with a rotozip thingy.

Use an angle grinder or ratchet pipe cutter.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, you are

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Can't be that good, as if it was others would have copied it by now.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A search on the US Patent office Web site will explain that various aspects of this tool have been patented in at least the U.S. and Europe.

- The oscillatory drive

- The motor design

- The use of these in the Multimaster and other Fein products

Go to

Select Search->Advanced Search and then use

an/(fein and gmbh)

This searches by assignee name

You will find a substantial list of U.S. patents with the others referenced from them, e.g.

6926595, 6713929, 6099397 and so on - about 65 in all.

Perhaps if you're very good and ask Santa, he might bring you one for Christmas......

Reply to
Andy Hall

They haven't patented the functionality.

Down the pecking order in Santa tools at the mo'.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No real need. The things that they have cover the aspects that should be protected from copying.

The absence in the market of any kind of clone indicates that that is effective.

Perhaps a nice ratchet cutter for plastic pipe, then.

Reply to
Andy Hall