FCU for bathroom fan in loft

I need to fuse a fan at 3A. I've got a ban against sinking further boxes unless absolutely required so I'd like to stick a 3 pole fan isolator outside the bathroom and put a 2 pole FCU in the loft.

1) Can I put the FCU in the loft, given I'm only using it for fusing, not isolation? 2) Can I fuse L and Switched L (simplifies my wiring) or do I need to fuse L and N. I can't see why I would have to, but just checking!

TIA,

Ben

Reply to
ben

Do not put a fuse in the neutral line.

Both live and switched live should be fused but you only use one fuse.

Reply to
ARW

I like the idea of having a switch of some kind for any item that is in a loft myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Who knows what I was thinking when I wrote that. Obviously I need to fuse L before it feeds switched L, unless I am magically going to find an FCU that contains two fuses.

Thanks to those who replied.

Reply to
bblaukopf

Depending on how you wire it a 3A switched FCU could act as a fan isolator.

Reply to
ARW

Mine is a SFCU wired to a pull switch, so only the CU needed for isolation. I turn on the fan, give it a few seconds to start up, turn it off and it runs for ~25 min. The pull switch is 2-way as, when I get a tuit, I've a little timer that I can rig in to get around me forgetting to turn off the fan. The timer can be wired to be self-de-energising.

Reply to
PeterC

Does an FCU have the required 3mm contact spacing?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Just look for one to BS 1363-4 (as even the cheapest seem to be)? (Was in Table 53.2 in the 17th. I can't justify buying the 18th.)

Reply to
Robin

That table mentions BS3676: Pt 1 1989, BS EN 60669-2-4 and BS EN 60947-3 as being compliant.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is that after amendment? In my original the entry in Table 53.2 for a

*SFCU* is that BS 1363-4 gets a tick for isolation. There's a copy of the table in Wiring Matters Spring 2009 page 14

IIRC there's also the issue of *secure* isolation. I've never seen that with a typical 3-pole fan isolator. I have with some SFCUs which can can be locked off with a padlock through the fuse carrier.

Reply to
Robin

Ah, seems I was looking in the wrong section, at switching devices. BS1363-4 it is. Bit surprised to see unswitched FCUs being acceptable too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. It is purposed as an isolating device by design.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Having selected my fan (Soler & Pau Silent 100 CHZ 230V IP45) and installed it, I can find absolutely no mention in the manual of any fusing requirement! Might have got lucky here.

Reply to
ben

It's ONLY if the manufacturer says you have to...

Reply to
ARW

True.

I have an S&P TD axial. I don't believe mine needs a 3A fuse - but the Manrose humidistat does(!!!) so I had to fuse it anyway.

But it will save me the bother in the shower room which will be conventionally coupled to the lighting...

Reply to
Tim Watts