Google and Facebook

Do they share data about us? If I google for something, like the other day I was looking for circular saw blades, when I use Facebook it alerts me to a dozen adverts for that item in the Facebook Marketplace.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

At this point that's more or less what they exist to do ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well what often happens is that a particular company not always google or facebook can use both platforms to gather metric, as the call them on your browsing habits and so its always possible to get on a list of and in line advertiser on many different platforms.

I have no issues with adverts, its the nature of them for a blind person I have issues with. Most web sites are accessible but nobody makes sure the ad content streamed as part of the page is, and this can upset a page and make it unusable by blind browsers who do not turn off tracking cookies and have ad blockers which of course means that the sites revenue stream from adverts is not going to happen. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes no such thing as a free lunch or in this case free services. Somebody has to pay. Its not a problem but see my last message. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

New to both, are you? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I saw a quotation recently which made sense: "In the past you searched Google, now Google searches you".

Personally I've switched to using DuckDuckGo.com who claim to be less invasive and seems to provide search results which I find adequate.

Reply to
Clive Page

Cookies?

Reply to
alan_m

With each other? Probably not intentionally. With their advertisers, certainly.

Did you visit any of the pages you googled for? If so, they will remarket those items to you on other sites where they sell adds.

Facebook will track any page you visit that has any kind of facebook tag on it (the normal "like" button you see everywhere is enough - especially if you are logged into your Facebook account in the same browser as you are visiting with)

Remember, if you aint paying for the service or product, then *you are* the service or product!

Adblockers seem to work well though ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Increasingly, sites restrict access when they detect ad blockers. For example file hippo if you use their auto check routine to see if there are new versions of software you possess, will not allow you to see the list if your ad blocker is turned on.

Some of the free newspaper sites will only let you see news briefs unless you pay or turn off the ad blocker. I can of course see their point as if we pay nothing toward their upkeep how can they run the site? As I said before if only the advertises were more responsible then I'd have no problems. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Even those of us without sight problems need to use ad-blockers at times.

I am fed up with my paid for phone data being squandered on video adverts, rather than a static ad; with pop-ups that cover what I want to see and whose close button is off the screen and won't pan; with video with sound, so I have to keep the sound off, preventing me from hearing things that I do want to hear.

For the PC the same often applies, but with the addition that they often slow the browser (any browser) to a crawl and even crash it if I open many windows - I tend to prefer browsing a newspaper site and openeing all the items I am interested in and then reading and closing each window in turn.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker