suggestions for plumbing waste disposal

Current installation, (Nigh on 30 years old), has dishwasher discharging into waste disposal which in turn discharges into manifold into which sink bowl also discharges. (The manifoild came with the Insinkerator waste disposal). Of late a blockage occurs somewhere in all of this which causes one of the connections to fail and flood the cupboard.

I'm getting to old to grovel around on hand and knees with head buried under the sink wrestling with all of this.

Would there be a better solution less prone to blockages etc ?

Reply to
fred

If you can bear to, stop using the waste disposal.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

How much space have you got? Where does it feed into?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thats a really helpful reply.

Yea, Burn down the house to get rid of mice.

Reply to
fred

Standard under sink cupboard. The waste goes straight out the rear wall. I suppose an extra outlet to the ouside would help but I was hoping perhaps there was an easy alternative to the manifold which is part of the problem I think

Reply to
fred

Is there an outside gully that you could run a separate waste into for the dishwasher?

Reply to
GB

I like my Insinkerator, but that just takes the sink. Dishwasher and Washing machine go into separate standpipes on the outlet manifold.

Reply to
newshound

Your drain is almost certainly getting blocked *because* you're using a waste disposal unit.

It's a common problem and a valid comment.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thats what I was thinking butan internal solution would be handier

Reply to
fred

In my experience, if you don't have a waste disposal unit substantially the same stuff goes down the sink, but in larger chunks. Maybe the really large, hard bits get retrieved for food waste recycling.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

My only problem in about fifteen years has been teaspoons. And they don't reach the drain.

Reply to
newshound

I suspect that wherever the join is is where anything fibrous congregates. Your disposer is getting on a bit, and maybe it isn't chopping as fine as it used to? Or maybe you've changed your diet? :)

Reply to
GB

Then you have to educate everyone about putting stuff down the drain of course which can be also a bit of a challenge. I've often wondered why these devices are not actually made more easy to clean out. I do not have one here but so many people seemed to fit them some time back and now are having issues with clogging up and general annoyances. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Get rid of the waste disposer.

Reply to
Jim K..

I thought I already received my own sanctimonious reply?

Reply to
Jim K..