Favours and freinds

I've never been one for counting free favours and help, if I am able and have the time, I just help with no expectation of reward or counting the size or cost of the favour or help givenv- a freely given favour, to help someone out.

Just had a fall out with a long term friend, simply because I didn't drop everything and run, most upset when they began recounting odd favours in the past, as if it were an profit and loss account.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Same, I don't like feeling as if I owe a favour.

I tend to find I do favours for people quite promptly but in reverse I wish they'd never offered and left me to my own devices.

Similarly I did some work for a guy in lieu of a machine of a machine he was to supply. We had a monumental falling out when i'd done my bit but 6 months later no machine. Got it eventually but it's never worked properly and we haven't spoken for roughly 18 months. Shame because we've had dealings for the best part of 2 decades.

The best bit is that while waiting for the machine and getting progressively more pissed off he asked me to do some large format printing for him for a charity event he was involved in (a freebie).

I got an email from him with the graphic on a Monday and noted that the event was that very weekend. I spotted a typo which took them a day to sort and when I came to print the bastard printer did a clean then wanted a maintenance tank. I found one in stock a 20 mile round trip away so ended up running around like a knob collecting that and doing the printing.

The even better bit is that the event was cancelled because they hadn't the correct permissions from the council or something, so it was entirely a waste of time and resource.

Never a good deed goes unpunished!

Reply to
R D S

I decided a long time ago that if if was going to help someone out I would not expect thanks. If they came, fine.

Actually, when someone's in crisis and they need help, they're often hardly in a state to assess how much people are helping them, and when the crisis is resolved their perspective changes and they don't actually realise the help they've been given. I just celebrate their recovery in my own mind.

To go back to your original point though, it's sad when you get an insight of that sort into the true nature of a friend.

An old friend recently tried to blackmail me over events of 30 years ago, all because he wanted me to bend the rules of an association. Very sad, to sacrifice a long friendship just for that. But actually, it reveals that the freindship wasn't worth much doesn't it?

When my wife was very ill and eventually died I soon found out who were my true friends, and who were the virtue-signalling shitbags. I got some surprises.

This very afternoon I saw a consultant about my illness. Only one friend rang later to ask how it had gone.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

You probably got them on a bad day. Sometimes it does seem like I am expected to fire all the bullets others give me, making myself unpopular with companies due to the fact I got them some help last time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Which printer do you use? Does large format mean A3? I'm considering doing a small circulation magazine for my local community, though I don't know if A3 would be absolutely necessary for that, it does seem quite appealing for folding to A4 size. I've been on the verge of purchasing for a while now but I keep reading the 1 star reviews of Epson Eco Tank models on Amazon and getting scared off. A bit of real life experience would be very helpful to hear about.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 15:41:19 +0100, williamwright snipped-for-privacy@f2s.com wrote: [snip]

I hope it went okay. Let us know if you feel it is appropriate to do so.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Much too big for a number of reasons. You want to use A4 folded to A5.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I'm a candidate for radiotherapy but the outcome is uncertain. Still worth a try though they reckon.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Very good point. Though if it wasn't for the scariness of the reviews of the Epson Eco tank A3 printer and the lack of "unlimited" ink supply for the first 2 years, where UK buyers are concerned, I might be prepared go for it.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

We get a variety of A5 advert rags that come and go every couple of years, but the A4 one that actually covers village events and reports parish meetings etc has been around for over 30 years ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Friendships are not a one way street.

It is very hard for outsiders to comment on the reasonableness, or otherwise, of behaviour in a close relationship. Normally I apply this to man/woman relationship breakups, but it does apply to friends.

I think you have to cool down and consider if you think he has a point or not. Even if you think he doesn't have a point, is it worth conceding the point to preserve the friendship.

Reply to
Pancho

A great big poster printer, prints onto rolls up to 44 inch wide.

But I do have a couple of Brother A3, a MFC 6710, That one has refillable cartridges and ink from these guys who i've used for many years with no bother,

I've also a A3 MFC6490 and a handful of (non OEM) cartridges, don't really need both. Where are you based? I'd take offers on it.

Reply to
R D S

For small print runs A4 laser is a lot more cost effective and very much faster than inkjet. That is how we do VH flyers and the parish magazine. (the latter only has monochrome printing)

Folding is pretty tedious if you are doing more than a hundred so you might want to invest in something that can semi-automate that as well.

I do the odd A3 poster on my trusty Canon ix6550 - chosen because it takes exactly the same cartridges as my wife's Canon printer. I wonder if it will actually rise to the occasion when it is next needed.

I wouldn't print a magazine with an inkjet or you will be getting complaints about the ink spoiling clothes and furniture if it gets wet.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Do you find it cheaper? We use refillable carts and 3rd party ink and i'm convinced we save money over what I used to spend on toner/drums. I might look at that again....

Faster definitely though and the print is more suitable for many applications.

If anyone is interested I also have a Brother HL-3040 colour laser printer for sale, probably soon in need of a black toner. Great printer in that you can reset the toner and drum counters from the controls.

East Lancs area.

Reply to
R D S

Get an OKI C712

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

A while ago while looking into this subject I was warned off laser printers as they were said to produce poor graphics by comparison with inkjet. But as the inkjet offerings I've looked at are so badly reviewed, I'll have another look at lasers.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Thanks, I'll study form and get back to you on that.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Great points, there's a lot of wet around these parts, especially when the tide comes in.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I have both. Ink jets are, generally, better for printing photographs. Laser prints, on the other hand, don't mind the odd drop of water.

Reply to
charles

I'm way down south and then some. I've been mulling this subject over for more than a year now and getting no closer to the purchase. Thanks for the offer though.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack