Fatally Flawed

The campain against the use of child proof socket covers is wriggling more than dennis.
http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/html/other_dangers.html
mentions Liam Boyles death. The site IMHO virtually blames his Mother for his death as SHE did not ensure that she kept the dangerous lead out of her sons hands.
Liam Boyle (ISTR it was Owain gave us all the details of the death at the time and inquest)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12973829
--
Adam

On 21/06/2012 20:23, ARWadsworth wrote:

"The lead with moulded plug attached had been removed from an appliance that was being installed by a handyman, instead of removing the fuse and ensuring that the lead was safely disposed of the lead was left lying where Liam could find it."
That does sound careless. If I dump an electrical appliance I always break the live pin off the plug.

I didn't know earth pins had to be solid brass e.g. not partly insulated. When did that come in?

The Medway Handyman wrote:

1947 ... i.e. it came in from the start when all pins were solid brass and it never changed, it was only later that shrouding came in for the L and N pins, alternatively an all plastic earth pin (insulated shutter opening device for the pedants) can be used where the appliance doesn't require earthing.
On 21/06/2012 21:23, Andy Burns wrote:

In fact if you see a plug with a partially insulated earth pin, then its a guarantee that its non BS compliant, and probably dodgy in all sorts of ways. (plenty on ebay for example)
--
Cheers,

John.

On 21/06/2012 22:05, John Rumm wrote:

I discovered a 2-way trailing extension block lead that I had bought a couple of years ago - I don't know where from - was pretty dodgy. I think there must be a lot of nasty stuff around now. Is it possible to buy plugs and leads made in the UK anymore?
This particular item was so poor: the cable grip inside the 2-way block was simply not able to function as a cable grip. The cable was loose and indeed had worked its way out so that the insulation was no longer within the grip. I noticed that (I need to PAT test all the equipment for my jazz orchestra for a wedding we're doing in September) and so I tried to put the cable back in properly thinking it hadn't been assembled correctly - but no, the grip was quite clearly never able to hold the cable.
This means that it could have been pulled out of the block whilst the 13A plug at the other end of the cable was plugged in - leaving some exposed live wires! YUK!
Michael
Michael Kilpatrick was thinking very hard :

This problem was true of several examples of UK made plugs from several years ago. The clamp piece was made from some poor fibre board where if the two self tappers of the clamp were tightened up adequately, the clamp would simply delaminate and rip. I don't think these are made any more and all of the modern ones use a nylon clamp.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On 22/06/2012 11:51, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The clamp in question of the form of two flexible plastic lugs either side of the cable with reverse-facing teeth such that the teeth should dig in and grip the cable when tension is applied. However, the teeth were barely teeth at all and the lugs put so little pressure on the cable (yes it was a 13A cable of a standard diameter) that it couldn't possibly ever work.
There are several designs of plug which have more than adequate designs of cable grip which work without the use of the screws. This wasn't one of them.
Michael
Michael Kilpatrick wrote on 22/06/2012 :

MK introduced a type like that several years ago - unfortunately the grips were so inflexible, it made it very difficult to get any but a small diameter cable in without a lot of force.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

I've never had a problem with them except on very large cables that really should have been used with a BS4343 connector.
IMHO all other 13A plug designs are inferior to the original MK Safety Plug. The design was groundbreaking and such an advance that other plug manufacturers should have hung their head in shame and withdrawn from the market because their products were instantly rendered as obsolete shit.
I'm less happy with the more recent MK plugs as they are significantly harder to wire due to the use of unequal core lengths. If there was a need for the earth to disconnect last then moving the terminal internally a few mm would have been sufficient. But with a cable clamp that does just that you won't pull the cable out of the plug in the first place.

1. MK have alwasy used unequal lengths.
2. I can't find any plugs (other than 'Commando') on MK's website.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On Jun 22, 3:25pm, charles wrote:

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Products/WD/PortablePower/PlugsandAdaptors/Pages/default.aspx
Part No. MK 646
Owain

The original 'safety plug' made virtue of having the same length tails. But it was easy enough to put a loop in the earth wire.
--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:52:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Indeed they did, see my other reply to the OP for a link to a pic of the wiring guide. Equal lengths and the truly innovative and functional cord grip made plug fitting so much easier.
Can't recall when they changed but all I've had in the last five years or so have sadly been the new and 'improved' type
The original ones were a design classic.
On 22/06/2012 23:37, The Other Mike wrote:

Never liked them myself... too wide when placed together in some sockets, and the binding post termination was never as nice as terminals with a proper wire hole IMHO.
--
Cheers,

John.

Indeed. Too much chance of stray strands not getting gripped properly.
--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 00:37:48 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

I always found them to be a pain in the arse.
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:25:20 +0100, charles

Not so.
See this, the wiring guide supplied with an orignal MK Safeplug from the 80's and a 'new one'
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3531/mksafeplugoriginalvsnew.jpg
26mm with 8mm strip on the original
43mm with 8mm strip only on the earth conductor on the new ones
On 22 Jun,

Revise:
1. MK have claimed to use equal lengths in their instructions.
1a. MK have alwasy needed unequal lengths in practice.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
On 22/06/2012 12:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

There are some such design whereby the opposing grips can be lifted out and replaced slightly further in or out to accommodate different diameter cables.
On the other hand, there seem to be many which are designed specifically for certain cable diameters only, and I guess that's what you came across. By pure coincidence I found three old such plugs on my desk right now! Here's a photo.
http://www.ellington-music.co.uk/images/MainsPlugs.jpg
From left to right you can see the (non-adjustable) grips are different widths apart and are clearly designed for
a) flat 2-core 3A cable b) round 3A or 5A cable c) standard 13A cable
Indeed, 3A,5A and 13A are exactly the fuses present in the plugs! Each of the cable grips work perfectly well - when the correct cable is used. If I try a flat 2-core 3A cable in the middle one, it's just a little two narrow to be gripped sufficiently. Plug (c) came from a kettle or something as it is branded Morphy Richards. You have to push a 13A cable reasonably hard to get it between the grips. The grips have only the tiniest of teeth but they clearly work extremely well!
Somewhere in the house I've got a plug with toothed grips like the above, but which are adjustable. I don't know where it is.
Michael
On 22 Jun,

I've had one or two where a grip broke when trying to fit larger cables (1.5mm^2 or 2.5mm^2).
They still seem to adequately hold the larger cables with one of the grips removed.