Electrical socket, change of use

Hi There

After ripping out all the hot water tanks in a bedroom, I was lef with a surface mouted socket which supplied the immersion heater. This is fused seperatly on the CU to 15A. Would it be OK to remount the socket in the wall (lower down) and us it as a light use power socket eg a light or hairdryer? I know the ring main runs on 30A, but would 15A be suitable for onl light usage ?

Any help would be great

Simo

-- SimonST

Reply to
SimonST

Subject to the requirements about running cables horizontally or vertically from visible accessories, and any joints being suitable and accessible as required, I would have thought so.

A 13A socket is sufficiently supplied by a 15A circuit.

The only other issue is that a socket might require RCD protection whereas the immersion heater did not, eg

  1. The socket might be used to supply a portable appliance outdoors; or
  2. You have TT (earth rod) earthing

and

  1. the immersion heater was supplied by the non-RCD protected side of a split load consumer unit; or
  2. the immersion heater was supplied by the 100mA time-delay main RCD protected side of a split load with dual 100mA/30mA RCDs on a TT installation; or
  3. you have no RCD protection

(In cases 1 and 2 you may be able to move the circuit to the 30mA side of the CU if you have sufficient spare ways).

Although this might not have been required at the time of the original installation, you are now required (Part P) to install the new socket in compliance with the current IEE Regulations

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yeah, it should be fine for any single 13amp plugged appliance

Reply to
Steve Walker

Points about RCDs agreed.

A 15A radial socket circuit can have a double socket in fact if you wish you can supply sockets serving a floor area of up to 20m^2 that has normal expected loading (not obviously if the 20m^2 is the kitchen).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I don't understand that, Ed.

Are you saying that there's a limit on the number of sockets according to the area of the room but that it doesn't apply in the case of the kitchen?

For instance, in our kitchen, 8 -10 square metres at a guess (there's not much floor area), I have five double sockets plus the cooker one which includes a single 15A socket. They're all dedicated to individual appliances so that I'm not unplugging all the time and they're _never_ all being used at one time. Mostly it's just the fridge, freezer and cooker which are used partly-continuously.

But is it a hanging offence?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

There are standard arrangement of circuits. They can all have unlimited sockets but due regard must be made for the expected loading. The place where the expected loading is likely to be outside these limits is the kitchen.

The maximum floor area limits are:

32A ring - 100m^2 32A radial - 75m^2 20A radial - 50m^2 15A radial - 20m^2

A kitchen is probably best served by it's own 32A ring due to the expected maximum loading.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The message from Ed Sirett contains these words:

Better not mention my garage then - with the welder, the lighting, the steelsaw....

Reply to
Guy King

Spouse ensured that, thank you for that clarification.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is that all?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Nope. They're just the items with the biggest drain. I rarely use both welders together, but if I've got someone helping me I can have the steelsaw and the welder running together which is pushing it a bit.

Reply to
Guy King

Mine uses gas mostly for welding but has very many electrical machines. Another coming today. He's decided No 3 son isn't going to return the borrowed planer/thicknesser which really belongs to No 2 daughter anyway so he'll buy another.

Some people do Soduko (sp?). I just have a family to test my mind.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What an extraordinary notion.