Fastening hardwood flooring (nailing tool advice)

Hi,

In the next few weeks I need to lay about 20m^2 of 3/4" hard maple T&G floorboards.

All was well and good until I (for the first time ever) was diagnosed as having "Tennis Elbow" a couple of weeks ago.

I had envisaged fastening the flooring with a rented tool like this:

now it seems I have the perfect excuse to purchase a powered nailer. (YES!)

Can anyone recommend a nailer (brand/model) suited to this application? I know I need to use 50mm nails at a 45 degree ish angle. The numerous types of nailgun available are completely confusing. I had no idea there was such a variety.

I'm inclined towards a generic pneumatic "framing nailer" (I have a compressor).

Am I thinking along the right lines?

David

Reply to
Vortex

I don't think so. II have a number of nailers ranging from a small

23gauge pin nailer, through 15,16 and 18gauge types and a Senco framing nailer.

The framing nailer is too big for flooring. I have driven 50mm stainless steel nails with mine for roofing but the nails are around

3mm diameter. That's really about the smallest and generally the nails are full round head as well.

The specific flooring nailers are specially designed to locate and angle correctly.

Possibly a 15gauge nailer would be OK - something like a Porter Cable DA250B. I have one of those and used it for nailing down pine boards in my cabin without problems. It does take a bit of practice to hit the right place on the board for the secret nailing though.

You mentioned Top Gun in your post. I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them - mainly nails which they will source if they don't have - and found that they give good advice. I would get an opinion from them.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Andy,

I talked to Topgun and they were absolutely adamant that the ONLY tool for the job is a "portanailer" like the

I originally identified.

These are available in a pneumatic version, but no hire shop around here has one.....

I reckon the purchase of a

could be on the agenda.

David

Reply to
Vortex

I had a feeling that they might. When I had an oak floor laid, this is what the guy used. I was OK using the air nailer for the softwood floor in the cabin because I was not too concerned if there was the occasional ding, although in the event there weren't any.

I think that for a hardwood floor it is worth getting the right tool.

I wonder if you could find one on Ebay. If you didn't want it afterwards then you could sell it on there....

Overall you'd still be saving money as compared with getting somebody in.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I installed hardwood flooring and the only tool that can push and nail at the same time is the portanailer i rented mine for long weekend, next time i will buy one.

BS

Reply to
golfs

You were going to hire the non gun which costs as much as a gun and now you are going to buy a gun?

What lines are you think along?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil