F*cking eurolocks :-}

Had fun tonight with my dad trying to get a couple of eurolocks out (no keys)... Didn't really want to snap them if we could help it, as we (ok, I) didn't want the guts falling down the locking mechanism.

Managed to snap drill bits in both sides of one cylinder, and ended up with an angle grinder on the f*cking thing. Eventually managed to remove the entire mech out of one side, but still had murder turning the cam to get it out - took almost 2 hours...

The other one was a doddle comparatively - again, started with the angle grinder to remove the bulk of the lock, then drilled below the tumbler pins - took about 6 mins.

It wouldn't have been so bad, but we'd had a new suite delivered today, and because they couldn't get it through the front door it was left in the back garden - luckily the rain held off !

Harveys - gotta love them. These are the people that told us the corner suite we ordered had been redesigned into 3 pieces to make it easy to get in, so we didn't need to cancel the order.

What they failed to do was employ someone who understood that a corner piece with permanently fixed back rests is basically a cube - if they'd simply made back rest detachable it'd fit through almost any doorway, and could have been done in two pieces.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Nightmare..... would have been one of those situations that a bump key would have been handy.

Reply to
SantaUK

Interested, how did you attack it with the angle grinder?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Had one - couldn't get it to work. I spent maybe a couple of hours over a few sessions over the space of a few weeks.

The (surprisingly helpful) locksmith I bought the replacement barrel from said he'd never had any luck trying to bump them himself.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Actually, it was my dad wielding the power on this one, but...

In very rough ascii terms, he just went through at 90 degrees as close to the door itself as he could having removed the handles, with a small bit of cardboard cut around the lock to protect the door itself. He also had a go vertically right down the middle which seemed to give us more room to be able to start re-drilling to get the pins and sheared drill bit out.

With the second barrel, he went for the angle grinder option first, and it was out in no time at all.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I saw it on you tube a while back. I'm keen to give it a go and see if it works. Got a spare cylinder here, just need to dig out the old files and see how it goes.

Reply to
SantaUK