Extractor Fan Switch

I would like to replace the fan extracter switch which looks something like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4857.html to this if it's OK. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KN8NBCW.html
Is this OK?

No. Assuming the fan has a run-on timer, you need a 3-pole isolating switch. I am not aware of any 'pretty' versions of that.
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes:

The best you might manage is this:
http://tinyurl.com/qbvx
Or perhaps one of these: http://www.electricalshop.net/acatalog/3_Pole_Fan.html
But I doubt you'll find one in a chrome finish. Maybe buy a white one and either cover it with something like chrome fablon (sticky back plastic for all Blue Peter fans), or maybe spray it with a silver or chrome paint. On second thoughts, skip the idea of painting it, metallic paint could do wonders for causing shorts.
Cheers Clive
Clive Summerfield wrote:

Just found this. http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid 61&rangeid14 Not sure who sells them though.
Chris Spyrou wrote:

I have a nice brass one from Heritage, so most peple do 'fancy' ones somewhere.
"Chris Spyrou" wrote | Just found this. | http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid 61&rangeid14 | Not sure who sells them though.
Most electrical wholesalers will be able to special order it for you if you ask nicely whilst waving some folding stuff.
Owain
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I maybe wrong but I'm sure the guy at TLC said it was OK, but I wasn't too convinced. Thanks for clearing that up.
Chris Spyrou wrote:

Nope, not at all!

Agreed, however, a call to a proper wholesaler might work (wont name names, i work for one of them..), I dont recal having seen one, but somebody like focus sb or hamilton may do one. Beware though if its in a bathroom at may tarnish fast!

Hrmmm, quality advice there then! ;)
Terry

names,
Now what would it be doing in a bathroom apart from breaking the regs?

* -- Adam
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Sitting beyond any of the numbered Zones, or (from memory) in Zone 3, i.e. being far away enuff from any bath/shower to be more than probably out of reach.
Remember, the Regs now allow ordinary switchen in bathrooms when far enough away from the bath/shower - the blanket prohibition is gone-gone-gone. Sockets (other than shaver) still a no-no, but FCUs for fixed appliances are OK if far enough away.
(Pauses to consult OSG's Table 8.1 and Figures 4d/4e...) Yup, it's Zone 3 and outside-the-Zones which are OK for ordinary wiring accessories, barring sockets. And that means, *roughly*, more than 60cm (2 feet) horizontally away from the vertical which is the nearest edge of bath/shower enclosure. More roughly still, "out of reach".
HTH - Stefek