Light switch problem

Right, here's the problem, back in the year dot, about 1982. We had our gents and ladies toilets wired up at work with lighting and an extractor fan, no problems, it all worked well for many years. Note the use of "fan" in the singular. One large unit, built into the ceiling and inlet pipes from both toilet areas.

Rather than have sensing from the lighting circuit to start the fan, whoever wired it used a 1 gang 2 pole switch in each toilet area, 1 side of the switch turning on the lights and the other side applying power to the fan. There was no timed delay on the fan, it just ran while the lights were on.

Anyway, to the problem I have. One of the switches has failed and I seem to have the job of finding a replacement. What the heck is it called? Is there a special name? Am I missing something blatantly obvious? I've tried searching TLC's site, but they either don't stock such a thing or I'm missing something, a Google gave many results, but again nothing that made sense.

It looks exactly the same as a crossover switch that would be used as a mid point in a 2 way lighting system, but instead of crossing over there are just two 1 way switches in the one moulding.

Any one any idea what I should be searching for?

Reply to
Bill

Well one gang two pole toggle switches are very common - I have a drawer full of 'em, so I suspect you are talking something that fits in a standard switch box. A picture would help if you can link to one

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It sounds like you want something that superficially looks like a light switch, but actually has two pole switching. Most makers do a 20A version like:

(they also have versions with neons etc)

It will do the job, but the switch action is a bit heavier than a normal light switch.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

So do I, and rocker switches. But this has to look the same as the original and fit in the same box. It looks exactly the same as any normal crossover, intermediate, light switch.

The markings on the back of it are similar too, two terminals marked 1 and two marked 2. It just operates differently.

If I get chance I'll take a photo of the back of it, but it won't help a lot. I'm also away for a couple of days, so it will take a while.

To add to the story, the guy that replaced it today actually used an intermediate switch and wired it as the original one. Luckily there were no neutrals involved. The effect was "interesting," The replacement switch was in the gents, it turned the lights on fine and he went back to his normal duties happy that he had done a good job, until the ladies turned their lights on, then the gents lights also came on! That's when he asked me to take a look and we figured out what was happening and how the original switch worked.

Reply to
Bill

In message , John Rumm writes

Thanks John, I was searching on "double pole" etc. I never thought of "DP" that seems to be just what I was looking for. It was driving me crazy.

Almost as much fun as searching the RS web site for an IEC (kettle lead) extension yesterday. The sort of thing that would link a UPS to a PC. Unless you use their terminology you get all sorts of amazing results! I did find those though :-)

Thanks again.

Reply to
Bill

double pole or 2 pole. The stiffer action of 20A switches can be annoying.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

These people are supposed to tell us what is required by Part P ???

Reply to
Windmill

It's just a two pole switch. Five amp ones are uncommon they are more often used to isolate small heaters.appliances. You are not likely to get an identical one after all this time. You might find a three pole fan isolator you could use. eg

Intended for liv eneutral and switch wire on timer fans.

BTW if your fan and lights are on different fuses/circuits, there is supposed to be a warning notice to this effect by the switch to prevent anyone that removes it being electrocuted.

Reply to
harryagain

Like the one everyone has beside the hall lightswitch?

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , harryagain writes

Having seen some scary situations relating to that it was the first thing I checked for and they are on the same circuit. But thanks for the reminder.

Reply to
Bill

You've seen my hall light switch then?

4 switches, hall, stairs and 2 outside lights all on one grid, but 3 different circuits.

Oh and no warning notice.

Reply to
Bill

If you want one with decent action, you can always use a 5A switch with added relays. Need some extra back space for the relays though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222