Extractor fan query

We'll be installing a fan in the air-brick in the bathroom.

There already is a fan, with a pull cord switch, but it's not a proper extractor fan and while it's better than nothing we're feeling sufficiently flush and enthusiastic to upgrade.

Looking in Screwfix for types (although he'll probably go to Falcon for one) we're confused. A timer seems a good idea for a quiet motor to prevent it being left on too long by forgetting about it. But Spouse thinks that a timer might be linked with being switched on with the light.

That would be inappropriate for our circumstances, we'd want to use it during daylight as well as in the dark and there's a large window.

Will somebody advise, please?

TIA

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:38:55 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Timer models need something to activate the timer. This is often turning the light on, but it could also be a pull cord switch on the fan. Outwith houses the timer might be started by a motion detector.

There are also models that are controlled by humidity. Some run at low speed normally, but run at high speed if high humidity is detected. One can also get controls that are separate from the fan.

It all depends on the model and how it is wired up. It sounds like you need a model with a timer that is activated by a pull cord.

Remember that if you are in England or Wales Mr Prescott has come up with stupidity regarding electrical work (amongst other Two Jags stupidities).

Reply to
David Hansen

The usual use for a timer is, as you summise, in conjunction with the light. You turn the light on and the fan comes on. You turn the light off, and the fan *stays* on for the time set on the timer and then turns off.

If you wish, you can have it pull-cord operated but still use a timer to keep it running a bit longer after you have turned it off - or you can just have direct manual control with no time delay.

I suspect that there's some building reg or other which says that it *has* to come on with the light - but we ain't too worried about that, are we?! [Mine doesn't!]

Reply to
Set Square

It's not that I'm not worried about regs (not that I am in this case) but the light isn't turned on during the day because there's daylight! It would be a silly waste of energy to have it wired like that.

The fan is only for steam extraction when we bathe or have a shower during the daylight hours and don't want to open the window. I thought compulsory wiring with the light was for windowless rooms.

The wc is in a separate room on its own. There's no fan in there either but there's no problem in there.

Thank you both for suggestions. Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, you can always blip the light to start the fan. I intend to run my new extractor off the light with a timer, although it is, indeed, windowless, so I don't expect you can get away without the light even during the day.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:42:24 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

says this is the case, assuming you are outwith Scotland. It is dated

2004 and the information is near the bottom of the page.

I would put it on a separate switch, or pull cord switch.

Reply to
David Hansen

All that is very helpful, thank you.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

When I installed ours, I replaced the light switch with a 2-gang switch, one for the light and one for the fan. Don't forget, its not just having the light on during the day that you don't want, you don't want the fan on when its dark but you're not making any steam!

Reply to
Richard Conway

That last is an excellent point!

But I can't see the point of re-routing the existing light and fan wirings to put them into a 2-gang switch.

The light is on a pull cord by the door, the fan is on a pull cord by the window, at least seven feet away.

Thank you anyway, it's more fuel for our cause :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Indeed, that is the point, so that the room gets some forced ventilation every time it is used.

I used a fan controlled by a humidistat in our old bathroom which worked pretty well

Reply to
chris French

Then you want a humidistat one - not a timer one.

You can get these built into the fan:

as standalone devices that can control any fan (or any other equipment for that matter)

John Rumm

I've just read that. Of coure we'd also want the fan when we create steam in dark hours when the light IS on!

But our bathroom doesn't need that forced ventilation and it certainly doesn't have the light switched on every time it's used..

That sounds like a good idea, are they still available?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary