extractor fan but shallow soffit

I need to fit a bathroom extractor fan, and don't want a direct air path through-the-wall unit, due to the problems with them letting in the gales (even the ones with flaps which clatter). So I want to fit a ceiling / soffit vent type. The problem is, the soffit is very shallow, only about 4 inches, and the space inside the wooden box of the soffit would only allow a vent about 2 inches deep. Could I use a long thin vent under the soffit without problems ? Or any other ideas for a non-direct air path through the wall (solid 9" masonry). Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In message , sm_jamieson writes

Could you go through the roof?

I vented my bathroom extractor in my last house up through the ceiling and through the roof.

used an inline unit mounted in the loft. connected the end of the flexible pipe to one side of a soil pipe elbow. Ran a length of soilpipe up through the roof, use a 'weathering slate' - a malleable aluminium plate with a rubber seal to pass the pipe through. terminated in mushroom cap type vent on the end of the pipe. Secured the soil pipe at the base to where it passed between the joists.

Reply to
chris French