Extending an existing telephone line

Hi

I want to move a phone socket from one side of our bedroom to another, however their isn't enough cable to get there (what ever the wiring situation you never seem to have quite enough). It would be a right swine to replace the entire length back to the master socket so I was wonder what the preferred method of joining telephone cabling was. Chock block seems OTT whilst a friend suggested soldering. I goggled the group for previous postings but they seem to concentrate on the rights and wrongs of DIYers accessing the master box to add completely new extensions.

Thanks

Ross

Reply to
RossG

You can get purpose made telephone junction boxes which would seem to fill the bill pretty well.

Reply to
usenet

Is the box a master socket or an extension socket?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

for TE00770 (IDC connections) or TE04167 (screw connections).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Unless it interferes with the decor, then why not leave the original bedroom socket where is and run a second socket from there.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The old way was to twist about 1" or so together, then cover with waxproof paper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whichever comes to hand easily, either a secondary socket or a purpose designed jointing box.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up getting a junction box, formed a T thereby leaving the old box in place. However, I could get one more wire in there and Oooooooo it's so tempting to stick an extension in the room below, even though it doesn't need one ... yet :-)

I investing in one of the tools to push the wire into the sockets while as was at, damn handy ... especially when I forgot to put the cable through the box first in my haste to try it :-)

Cheers

Ross

Reply to
RossG