Extend a Switch - IR?

Hi Folks

A while back I reversed a door and now the switch is behind it. I've been looking for a wireless device that will enable me to mount a switch with a transmitter in it and install a receiver unit where the old switch is. I came across something that would do what I want (I think!)

but they are American style switches and only available in the US.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these devices in the UK from.

Cheers

AJ

Reply to
AJ

Do you have a neutral connection at the old switch? I suspect that that American device (and any UK equivalent) would need one.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

you could just change the existing switch to a 2-way and run a cable up, over, and down the side of the door.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

> Although you could just change the existing switch to a 2-way and run a

or

ARWadsworth

I've been looking for something like this recently. Found a few options but none that are quite what I'm after.

B&Q have a couple of ranges - one by GET that has a remote dimmer (although controlled by a remote - not a normal looking switch). This looks suspiciously similar to the wickes own branded one (the wickes one is half the price...)

32. One problem is I'm not sure they do them in a more traditional white!

The other solution is has a switch that you mount somewhere, and a unit that you hide in the back of the normal switch. They also have a unit that you hide above the ceiling (or, a replacement rose). This is probably closer to what you are after.

Have a look at

{10082}%2fcategories%3C{8960089}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dhome_automation&fh_refview=lister&ts=1228334779162&isSearch=falseor if that doesn't work, try searching on
for 5013529995134 or maybe one of 5013529994632 and a 5013529995066

More info and a forum if you have questions at

cant use the switch unit as I need something that will fit in a 16mm deep box (can't sink a deeper one due to steel conduit running behind :-/). The GET ones are close but not available in white - the home easy (byron?) ones don't quite have the options I want AFAICS. Be interested to know how people have found these if they have any installed.

Oh, one thing that might be an issue - a lot of these can't be used with CFL lamps if that is a problem. They allow a small amount of current to leak through the bulb to power themselves as there isn't (usually) a neutral at the switch. Also, many of them are dimmers so wouldn't work anyway.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Would this pair do?

Other devices are available in the range - e.g. dimmers.

Reply to
Rod

quoted text -

Excellent, thanks to all of you for taking the time posting, one of these will do the trick.

Cheers

AJ

Reply to
AJ