Exploding cigarettes.

Seems a chap was injured when the electronic cigarette he was charging exploded. He was on oxygen, and the oxygen pipe or whatever got damaged making things far worse. Seems he may also have been using a charger which wasn't supplied with the cigarette kit.
An 'expert' (think he may have been from the fire service) on the R4 PM prog explained that USB chargers are not all the same and could give a much higher voltage than the correct one for the device. So advised against charging such things from a computer USB socket, etc. He sort of admitted he wasn't an expert though. He didn't need to.
--
*Velcro - what a rip off!*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote

He's a scouser
Nuff said
[resend]
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I think I posted here of a similar report made by Derbyshire fire last year, info was circulated to other fire services, I saw some photos of the damage, the "ejected" battery had set alight bedding, again the charger wasn't original ...
On 08/08/2014 18:33, Andy Burns wrote:

Merside Fire are quoted on the BBC site as saying: "We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged, and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.
"Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source."
Well that should kill the universal micro USB socket initiative on mobiles off !
On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 18:01:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

I thought he did OK, and gave good general advice without commenting too much about the individual case which the Coroner Court has yet to give a verdict. He didn't mention the O2.
Follow the manufactures instructions, use the supplied charger and don't leave unattended.
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

If they should ONLY be used with the supplied charger then they shouldn't be using the USB standard interface. The problem is the cigs surely, not the chargers?
Tim
On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 21:49:53 +0000 (UTC), Tim+

That point was made by the fire officer interviewee. He said something along the lines of different USB devices give differing voltages
--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On 08/08/2014 23:24, Graham. wrote:

I certainly have USB chargers rated with different voltages and currents. Whether the voltages differ enough to cause damage I don't know (mainly 5V vs 5.1V).

Great advice. So you sit there watching it - or your phone, etc - while it charges?
More sensible would be to charge the device on a reasonably flame proof surface like a kitchen worktop - and away from flammable materials. Which anyone with common sense would do anyway.
--
*The average person falls asleep in seven minutes *

Which is nonsense. Unless faulty or designed by an idiot, all USB outlets supply 5 volts.
--
*DON'T SWEAT THE PETTY THINGS AND DON'T PET THE SWEATY THINGS.

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 12:17:07 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Unfortunately not, 5.25v has been used for higher charging current apps. Not every appliance is ok with that.
NT
On 09/08/2014 02:03, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

They should be as that is still within the USB spec.
Sounds like duff appliances to me.
If we ever see a proper report it will probably say the USB charger was duff in the first place. If it wasn't the cigs need to be recalled.
did anything that was so called standard ever work as designed. Its hard to think of one which has not been abused in some way. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Robert" < snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Unfortunately it's those with the severe smoking habit that are the most likely to end up needing oxygen.
--
"People don't buy Microsoft for quality, they buy it for compatibility
with what Bob in accounting bought last year. Trace it back - they buy
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

> Not every appliance is ok with that.
I imagine, like a lot of cheapy crappy stuff, the fudge is to do with charging current, not the voltage. Instead of bothering with a charge control circuit, just cripple the supplied charger to, say, 25mA and let thermal dissapation sort itself out. Plug in a proper "unrestricted" 500mA laptop/charger and all hell will, literally, break loose.
--
Scott

[snip]
Yes, I heard it too. Fascinating stuff.
--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

From a computer USB socket? How to they manage that?
However, I suppose it's no different in practice from the older jack system once common for low volt DC. The voltage there could be anything. Even AC.
--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 11:12:57 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

from some chargers

Its very different, most usb kit works together ok. But not all.
NT

Right. And they have type approval with a non standard voltage? I'm surprised the phone makers haven't cottoned on to that one - it must gall them not to be able to sell you an overpriced charger.

Certainly a high current device won't work from a low current USB. But neither will it burst into flames.

--
*7up is good for you, signed snow white*

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 2:08:02 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

5.25v is within the usb spec. IIRC it was phone mfrs that started the 5.25v thing - but I might not RC there.

News reports...
NT