Experimenting.

Trying dishwasher tablets in the washing machine, Bosch offer dire warnings that their washing machines will fail, but I am not using theirs. One never knows if commercial interests influence these types of warning. This is about the tenth time I have used them and the washing comes out very clean. Maybe not so good for delicate fabrics, but towels and flannels are fine.

Anyone know of any other problems that may occur, Bosch say their plastic pipes will dissolve, it's a good job they don't make dishwashers.

Reply to
Smolley

I have a Bosch dishwasher?

Reply to
Pancho

Oh, but they do. Ours is a Bosch

Reply to
charles

Are S/W tablets cheaper than W/M pods?

Do you expect them to wash clothes better?

Is this just to clean the W/M itself?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The enzymes and surfactants in dishwasher tablets/capsules are very powerful indeed. I wouldn't want anything that can remove fired on patterns from crockery anywhere near my skin and in my clothes. Think enzyme washing powders (Ariel) on steroids. Enzyme washing powders themselves frequently cause dermatitis, so I certainly wouldn't take any risks with using dishwasher tablets.

Reply to
Bob Henson

<Wikipedia>

Most dishwasher detergents are incompatible for use with silver, brass, cast iron, bronze, aluminium, pewter, and gold leaf. They can also harm disposable plastic, anything wood, knives with hollow handles, and fine glassware.

</Wikipedia>

So best to use them only in a machine designed for them.

My dad once used washing up liquid in his dishwasher instead of a tablet. That was messy.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

They do, don't they. I suspect many common chemicals over time have a bad outcome on plastic and synthetic rubber pipes and connectors. We used to have a hoover that kept on getting pin holes in an internal pipe, They said it was the vibration, well maybe. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Fundamentally *most* of these dire warnings are there to guard against the unknown unknown, and ensure you use a known known. For legal reasons Almost certainly it will be fine, although a little odd.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a bosch dishwasher. I threw it away in disgust. Utter crap

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine looks pretty crap too. The upper tray has gone rusty, the tray plastic wheels broke, and cost £10 to replace, the salt dispenser is dodgy, uses salt too quickly.

It's only 25 years old.

Reply to
Pancho

When the chemical is sodium hydroxide, you have to expect a little fun.

Some of these products, should have an MSDS, and that may tell you how caustic the stuff is.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Which seems a fairly good reason not to use a dishwasher.

Reply to
AnthonyL

That is radically overstated with cast iron and wood.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope. The reality is that the only thing that matters is aluminium in practice.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And ali. Glass is normally fine but not quite always. Cast iron is fine if not bare and dried after the wash. Etc.

Reply to
Animal

Never had one. There's always one in whatever holiday cottage we use, which is a novelty, but with two people to wash up for I just can't see the point.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

A dishwasher is a cupboard for dirty dishes and a drying cupboard, replacing the pile of dirty items in/by the sink and the stack on the drying rack. Some stuff with water happens in between.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

and brings other benefits: e.g. another thing to fix, discussions of how best to load it

Reply to
Robin

Also makes a great job of cleaning many other things. Someone will now mention toilet seats :/

Reply to
Animal

It's the ideal household gadget for cleaning brushes and rollers after painting.

Reply to
alan_m